ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] ICANN staff message to registrars about accuracy of registrant data

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] ICANN staff message to registrars about accuracy of registrant data
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:24:56 -0400

Recently Mawaki Chango registered a domain name and put his Yahoo email address
in the Whois.
Before this, his yahoo account was free of spam. Since it was publicized in
Whois, he has started to receive burdensome amounts of spam.

I submit that on net, public availability of Whois contributes far more to
spammers than the occasional inaccurate registration.

And I do wish that the US government, which allegedly represents the people,
would adopt a more even-handed position and one that pays at least some
attention to the public interest and not just the special interests.

>>> "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/6/2006 11:36 PM >>>
This is not helpful absent a copy of the spam in question and/or the identity
of the domain name.

              -- Bret