ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] NCUC Procedural Proposal - recirculated

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] NCUC Procedural Proposal - recirculated
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:21:39 -0400

Bruce:
I answered your question about the Whois goings-on at the Marrakech meeting
before reading this. I have been traveling and have let some of these messages
pile up.

By agreeing with you that we should discuss ToR #3 in Morocco late June, I was
assuming that we would have already made progress on ToR#2, i.e., matching the
newly defined purpose of Whois to specific data elements.

It's absurd to say that relating data elements to purpose is not part of the
terms of reference. Data collected is clearly encompassed by item #2 of the
terms of reference, and besides what is the point of defining purpose if it
does not affect the data elements in Whois? It is impossible to make any sense
of the whole TF if it does not handle that. No separate PDP will be required.

Also, let me note in connection with this:

>Note that the purposes that data is collected may vary by registrar,
>and registrants should check those purposes.  For example some
>registrars may offer domain names for free, but in return provide
>the personal information to marketing companies etc.

Registrar data collection is not the same as Whois data; the two are distinct,
we should not confuse them.