ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Verizon's Position on Open Access to Customer Data (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Seachange?)

  • Subject: Verizon's Position on Open Access to Customer Data (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Seachange?)
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:38:59 -0400

maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Ross-
> If you had a point about the statement below, I missed it.
> Maggie

Sorry Maggie - I should have been clearer. My apologies. I wasn't actually making a point, but I wouldn't mind hearing from any of the ISPs involved in this issue whether or not their position regarding their own customer data extends to similar treatment of other's customer data as well. As you know, the registrar position has long been that we should not be required to provide unfettered access to our customer records via the Whois as is currently required under the existing Whois policy.

Since Verizon has adopted the same position vis-à-vis their customer data and the USG, I would like to hear more about if and when Verizon will alter their policy position on Whois to make it consistent with the position espoused in the press report below.

It would be wonderful if ISPs and their suppliers within the registrar and registry communities could present a unified voice alongside the privacy advocates to the United States and other governments on this matter.

Warm regards,

--

                       -rr

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:

Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation
Tucows Inc.