ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Letter from the American Intellectual Property Law Associat...

  • To: Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Letter from the American Intellectual Property Law Associat...
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:28:33 EDT

Clearly, my last message was intended to be private.  Alas, as we  prepare
for the Marrakech meeting, attention to all details is hard to come  by....

But my commitment to a full and balanced debate in the GNSO, in ICANN and  in
GAC is well known.  I truly believe that we have government officials on
many sides of the issues -- and am truly disappointed that the conference to
have been held by the GAC with the Article 29 Working Party's representative,
Dr. Alexander Dix (Berlin Data Protection Commissioner) was canceled at the
last
 moment (Dr. Dix was prepared to come.)

In every other area of telecom and Internet debate, law enforcement seeking
data debates law enforcement enforcing privacy laws.  National laws
protecting personal data and individuals from public directories is balanced
with
access to that data by those who need it (when they need it).

I ask only that the same debate take place at all levels of ICANN.  We  need
a full informed and robust debate -- and I think we have done an excellent
job of that in the GNSO.  May it continue as our Whois discussion  continues.

Kathy