ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Comments on the report - NCUC

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Comments on the report - NCUC
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:06:54 -0400

I have a conflicting call at 10:30 and will join you late. In the
interim, I would like to make the following points:

1) Only the oPOC proposal should be considered and fleshed out in this

proposal.  As Ross said, it has no business standing as an equal
partner  with the oPOC. It  must be in the report later as a
constituency presentation of IPC.  Or as a much later introduced
minority  report.

2)  Steve's proposal is imposes an insane amount of liability on
registrars (imagine you are a registrar evaluating my request for
privacy because I believe my soon to be ex-spouse wanted to stalk me.
Then suppose the registrar denies the request, my personal data is
revealed, and I  get
stalked and hurt.  You can bet I'll sue the registrars for millions,
and I
won't be the only one.  If someone is killed, their business is
dead.).  What
works for ccTLDs  with government protection does not  work for private

companies w/o it.

3) Existing outside comment
Where shall the report put existing outside comment, in particular the

messages from data protection commissioners individually and  through
the article 29 working party that the oPOC satisfies their desire for
privacy of personal data and continuing collection and availability of
that data  on an as-needed, as-legally-allowed basis. We have had a lot
of high level comment, particularly surrounding Marrakech,  and it must
be included.