ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: Access to data not displayed in Whois (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Access to data not displayed in Whois (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)
  • From: "Jordyn Buchanan" <jordyn.buchanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:05:34 -0500

Hi Ross:

With respect, it is a complete non-starter to even consider requiring
registrars provide access to any non-public business data at the request
of any unrelated third party outside of the court system. This is a
colossally bad idea from so many angles that I can't even figure out
which I should describe first - there are massive issues related to
intellectual property,  third party and direct legal liabilities,
shareholder/fiduciary responsibility concerns, privacy implications and
so on.

I neglected to make a clarifying point that perhaps would leave you slightly
less concerned here.  The only data that this proposal relates to is the
data that is currently displayed in Whois, but would be withdrawn by one of
the various proposals that we've been discussing.  (So, in the case of the
OPOC proposal, this procedure would result in the display of the
registrant's mailing address; in the case of the "special circumstances"
proposal, this would result in the display of whatever data had been
removed.)  This is not intended to be a general purpose mechanism to get at
data elements that are not currently displayed in Whois.

In that context, it would be helpful for you to provide some detail about at
least one of the concerns you've identified above.

There are only two reasonable methods that we should be considering -
using due process, or working directly with the registrar directly.

I think we're still hoping to see some further detail (perhaps in the form
of best practices) of the "working directly with the registrar" concept.
That is certainly a more lightweight approach, and I'd be happy if we could
figure out a simpler approach to the problem that we could get a high degree
of consensus around.

Jordyn