ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: Access to data not displayed in Whois (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)

  • To: marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Access to data not displayed in Whois (was Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois)
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 10:01:57 -0500

marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Has the registrar constituency reps done a survey of their members/ or some of them regarding how they envision dealing with for instance hundreds to perhaps thousands of requests? Is there a sizing of costs available to take into account in terms of feasibility of implementability of a possible policy? Something Council must consider and a responsible and informed discussion is needed. I hear a lot abt narrow margins in registrars and I have sympathy for concerns abt 'unfunded mandates'. (Having run a business that had high customer service' costs).

There is no data, absent your contention, to suggest that the number of requests for this data will increase to hundreds or thousands or that this will pose a burden for accredited registrars. If you have data that indicates otherwise, It would be great if you could share it with this task force.

The Registrar community has had a strong working relationship with the law enforcement and legal communities since the first registrar was accredited. I have personally been involved in no less than six meetings between these interests in the last seven years that all had the specific goal of strengthening the public/private partnership and ensuring that the broadest range of interests possible were protected. My organization has participated in many, many specific investigations and handled countless requests for information from the legal community. This is also true of almost every single other registrar without exception.

Furthermore, I have not heard from the operational community that there are significant or substantial concerns or issues related to the way that registrars work with law enforcement and legal interests, nor has there been in any significant way over the past seven years. Strangely, this differs from subsmissions made by members of this task force.

The proposal to have law enforcement and legal interests continue to work directly with registrars to retrieve registrant contact data related to specific investigations or concerns represents the status quo. Having directly consulted with a majority of constituency members in a face to face meeting last week, I have no issues with continuing to advocate for the status quo in this specific area.

Regards,

Ross Rader