ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

Re: [gnso-dt-wg] RE: Draft list of questions - NomCom

  • To: "olof nordling" <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dt-wg] RE: Draft list of questions - NomCom
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 03:49:23 -0700

Dear All -

Marilyn has a good point but for the record will provide some
answers to the questionaire with the view that we should defer all
decision-making (choice selection) until we have more data as Marilyn
suggested.

So as a placeholder I will answer the questions and also add some
points regarding how all this is to apply to merging IDNs.

Please see my in -line answers in the txt below as I could not immeditely
download the doc from where I am at.

Thanks
sophia
------------------------------------
*                                                     Request for
Information on Domain Tasting *[draft 1.1]

xx July 2007

In view of the increase in domain tasting (definitions below), the GNSO
Council recently considered an *Issues Report on Domain
Tasting*<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/domain-tasting/gnso-domain-tasting-report-14jun07.pdf>
and
resolved to form an ad hoc group for further fact-finding regarding the
effects of this practice. The ad hoc group has assembled the following
questions to assist in gathering facts and opinions, while inviting both
qualitative and quantitative input. The group would especially appreciate
statistical and other empirical evidence to support your responses, or
references to potential sources of same. To be considered by the
group, *information
should be submitted no later than xx August 2007 to <emailaddress>.*

    1.     Please categorize yourself (check all that apply):
  Civil society (non-profit or similar)      NOMCOM
                           Government                        Intellectual
Property Rights Owner                                 Registrar
                         Registry
Registrant
               Rights owner representative Registrant representative Other

   1. Of above categories, if anyone, then who benefits from domain
   tasting?  (Please explain how each benefits.)   Registrant (makes
   money if 'tasted' item generates visits)
   2. Of above categories, if anyone, then who is harmed by domain
   tasting?  (Please explain how each is harmed.) IP owners (misnavigated
   customers), Registry (time and money wasted on excessive returns), Registrar
   (same as registry).

Several potential means to address the practice of domain tasting have been
suggested by ICANN Staff and others.  These suggestions include:  A)
eliminating the Add/Grace Period so that domain registration fees are
non-refundable between registry and registrar; B) making the ICANN
per-registration fee (insert current details) non-refundable between ICANN
and registry; C) imposing registry 'excess deletion fees' charged to
registrars for every registration dropped during AGP if registrar deletes
more than a certain percentage of domains during a predefined period
(include terms of PIR proposal as example).

   1. [In addition to these 3 suggestions, do you have any other
   suggestions? Are these suggestions compatible with current business rules
   and provisioning systems?

   New possible solution - D) (without recommending one over another) -
   Make a special new type of domain purchase called "1-month domain
   tasting/renting" – say $2 (?) to registry.  For extra work done – after
   1-month tasting must go to full annual purchase or return to pool with no
   further special rights to re-purchase.   To my knowledge I think all 4
   – A,B,C,D are compatible.

   1. For each additional suggestion, please explain how any categories
   of potentially affected stakeholders would benefit or be harmed if your
   suggestion is implemented?

   For (D) Registrant gets to taste, Registrar/Registry gets reimbursed
   for time and expense, IP Owner continues to be harmed but less so as
   it now reduces overall domain tasting activity

   1. Do you believe that Domain Tasting impacts the Security and
   Stability of the Internet? (Yes or No)? (if yes, in what way does Domain
   Tasting adversely impact the security and stability of the internet?

   YES. It distorts to put it mildley, end-user expectations of
   navigating/search of the web owing to typo-cybersquatters. Also with high
   levels of churn (75% etc), at high volumes (5% of all extant names)

   Many domains being currently domain-tasted will give different
   navigational response this week from the next.  It is real bad for
   user-expectation navigational consistency at these high levels.  Now its
   there and now its gone scenareo.

   1. As to each suggestion,] what impact do you think this would have
   upon each category of potentially affected parties?  (Positive or Negative
   for each)

   (C) Probably will result in people coming up with creative ways to
   bypass the "sliding scale/threshold" way of "punishing"

   (B) Does not compensate the party that does the extra work dealing
   with the enormous "returns" – registries/registrars, but rather another
   party whose workload is mostly unaffected.

   1. [As to each suggestion,] do you believe it would impose any
   additional harm upon any categories of potentially affected parties (Yes or
   No -- if Yes, then who and how)?
   2. [As to each suggestion,] do you believe it would create any
   additional benefits for any categories of potentially affected parties (Yes
   or No -- if Yes, then who and how)?
   3. [As to each suggestion,] do you believe it should be implemented
   (please explain why or why not)?
   4. In addition to these 3 suggestions, do you have any other
   suggestions for addressing any harms that you perceive from domain tasting?
   5. If you make any additional suggestions, then please explain how any
   categories of potentially affected stakeholders would benefit or be harmed
   if your suggestion is implemented?
   6. If registries or registrars offered domain registrations at no cost
   to the registrant, would this effectively permit domain tasting?  (Yes or No
   )   *YES** *
   7. Should registries and registrars be prohibited from offering domain
   registrations at no cost to the registrant?  (Yes or No)  Best to
   answer this question once we see more data. My guess for now is YES
   8. Should ICANN impose a minimum registration fee on domain
   registrations?  (Yes or No; if Yes, then what should the minimum fee be?)
   Again wait for data, but if we did impose a fee it should go to the
   parties that do the extra work – registries/registrars.
   9. Would you like to suggest provide any specific statistical or
   factual information, or identify any expert persons, that can be
   corroborated by a 3rd party that should be considered or consulted on
   any issues raised by this RFI?  (Please identify and explain how they would
   aid the community discussion on this topic.)

*AS for IDNs*  : I would strongly recommend that at the outset domain
tatsting should not be allowed in new full IDN TLD deployments ... there
is no need to further a practice that many (inclduing myself)  see is a
bad thing that for historical reasons allowed in the ascii domain space
should be willy-nilly continued in other langiages....just because it was
done in ascii.

If individual langauge/countries after a year or so launching want to
consider it for their own langauges/countries, then it should be carefully
considered and if decided, to start domain tasting - then begin the
pratcice. But not at outset, we have problems enough as it is with
IDNs....yet another reason why new IDN gTLDs should be not automatically
included into new ascii  gTLD document.