ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

Re: [gnso-dt-wg] Quantifying the Registrar impact to changing AGP

  • To: Jothan Frakes <jfrakes@xxxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dt-wg] Quantifying the Registrar impact to changing AGP
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jothan,

I read BobC's comment on the registrars list and
thought that his observation regarding spates of
fraudulent credit card activity was also worth noting:

"About three months ago, we had a flurry of suspicious
registrations.  Something caught my eye, so I called a
registrant in Cleveland, OH.  She had been hit by
several credit card frauds.  What caught my eye was
what looked like an erroneous country code in the
phone number.  There were about twenty of them, all
using legitimate credit cards and legitimate names and
addresses in the United States, but with country codes
ranging from 6 to 48  (should be "1").  They were for
just one year (not the 5 year bunch we had in 2000 and
2001).  We were able to delete about half of then
within five days."

Clearly there are legitimate uses for the AGP.  Any
policy curbing the AGP should leave some room for
rectifying mistakes, registrar systems testing, etc.

On a tangential note, I see that the adopted ICANN
budget carries this provision:

"Depending on registrar size and activity, some
registrars will continue to be eligible for
"forgiveness" of two-thirds of the standard
per-registrar variable fee. The criteria for
eligibility
for partial forgiveness will be as follows: the
registrar must have fewer than 350,000 gTLD names
under its management, the registrar must not have more
than 200 attempted adds per successful net add in any
registry, and it must not have more than five percent
(5%) of added names deleted during the add-grace
period from any registry that offers an add-grace
period."

http://www.icann.org/financials/adopted-budget-FY6-07-30jun06.pdf

I'm just curious as to how ICANN arrived at these
particular values... was the five percent figure
relative to AGP deleted names mutually agreed upon by
the registrars without dissent?

photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC