ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-dt-wg] Herewith the correct Comment Box information

• To: gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dt-wg] Herewith the correct Comment Box information
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:39:00 +0200

My apologies; the previous comment box report came from the IPC report (my apologies to all for sending the wrong information).

Here is the information from the final two comment boxes. The entire set of data is considerable, so I'll wait to send that (unless requested otherwise) until the poll closes...

Comment box report
Poll menu: Domain tasting RFI
Date: Wed 12 Sep 2007 15:36 UTC

Poll: 15. Please name any expert persons you know of regarding any issues raised by this RFI.

Date
Comment
11 Sep 07
Erik Wilbers
Scott Dohahey
11 Sep 07
Ernesto Viteri: ejviteri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alvaro Castillanos: acastellanos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
11 Sep 07
Mark Monitor, an organization that assists us in protecting our brand online, performs surveys of different kinds of online phenomena. I expect Mark Monitor would be pleased to provide you with copies of any current studies.
11 Sep 07
None
10 Sep 07
none
07 Sep 07
No idea.
07 Sep 07
N/C
07 Sep 07
FairWinds Perspective
07 Sep 07
Cedric Manara (Edhec in Nice in France) is an expert in domain names (he codrafted the .eu arbitration rules) who could add some interesting comments
07 Sep 07
none
06 Sep 07
From his writings, Lawrence Lessig (Stanford Univ); Eric Goldman (ericgoldman.org); Apple (Computer) Inc.
06 Sep 07
kiyoshi tsuru ktsuru@xxxxxxxxxxx
06 Sep 07
unknown
06 Sep 07
Sarah B. Deutsch
Verizon Communications +1 (703) 351-3044 sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx
31 Aug 07
Nelson Brady
nelsonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I buy many names that snapnames acquires through what I believe meets the definition of tasting (a too limited definition) in this survey. He is the only person I know at snapnames.
27 Aug 07
no comment
26 Aug 07
Hakon Haugnes - Global Name Registry - hhaugnes@xxxxxxx
19 Aug 07
Bob Parsons - CEO of GoDaddy
http://www.bobparsons.com/DomainKiting.html

PS. Domain Kiting is just serial domain tasting to try to hold onto a domain. There may be no guarantee a domain can be "retasted" when dropped, unless a registry is able to hold onto to it somehow or have an advantage in timing when it is dropped.
17 Aug 07
I cannot provide this information at this time without their consent.

Comment box report
Poll menu: Domain tasting RFI
Date: Wed 12 Sep 2007 15:38 UTC

Poll: 16. Please provide any other comments you may have to this RFI.

Date
Comment
12 Sep 07
Thank You.
11 Sep 07
No.
11 Sep 07
Domain Names should be treated in a more restrictive way, regarding the importance of the internet use around the world.
11 Sep 07
Domain Names should be treated in a more restrictive way, regarding the importance of the internet use around the world.
11 Sep 07
Thank you for allowing us to vote and to express our opinions. Kind regards, Leigh Fulwood, Corporate Counsel, Costco Wholesale Corporation
11 Sep 07
No.
11 Sep 07
The Internet has proved to be expensive and hazardous for IP rights owners. Registrars get to register domain names containing trademarks that do not belong to the registrant and which infringe the owners' rights. IP rights owners must spend considerable time and money to police its IP rights on the web. I don't see a countervailing benefit in allowing registrars and registries to have such free rein in plundering the IP rights of others.
11 Sep 07
10 Sep 07
Over the course of the past 6 months we have seen infringement issues climb from an average of 5 domain registrations a day to nearly 30. At least 80% of these registrations are actually domains that have been dropped during the AGP and then re-registered by another party. These domains are constantly churned within the domainer community as they are dropped only to be snatched up again by another which makes it very difficult to pursue our legal rights through a UDRP.
10 Sep 07
No thanks.
10 Sep 07
Please eliminate identity shields.
10 Sep 07
no
10 Sep 07
none
08 Sep 07
No
07 Sep 07
No.
07 Sep 07
None.
07 Sep 07
Nothing to add
07 Sep 07
No comments.
07 Sep 07
Some of the questions appear redundant.
07 Sep 07
Unrelated to tasting -
I am not in favor of the low $50,000 new domain extension application fee ICANN is seeking that could potentially explode the number of domain extensions. The utter failure of absolutely unnecessary extensions such as .aero, .name, .coop and cheapening of the namespace with the cheezy .biz name does not reflect well on the decisions of ICANN. On the other hand com/net/org/edu/gov/ and CCtlds (for their intended purpose, not hijacked like .tv and .la), .info and .mobi make sense.

I
07 Sep 07
Thanks to you.
07 Sep 07
No further comments
07 Sep 07
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to participate
07 Sep 07
None
07 Sep 07
Thank you for having this organized
07 Sep 07
An option could be to let the same Registrant be able to use the AGP once every 2 years for example although it might be hard to implement
07 Sep 07
-
07 Sep 07
-
07 Sep 07
ICANN's willingness to review issues like this is very welcome
07 Sep 07
Thanks for the opportunity to vote
07 Sep 07
none
07 Sep 07
n/a
07 Sep 07
n/c
06 Sep 07
None now
06 Sep 07
None now.
06 Sep 07
congratulations
06 Sep 07
no additional comments
06 Sep 07
Thank you for permitting me the opportunity to comment.
06 Sep 07
Legal and productive use of domains is only harmed by applicants withdrawing useful domains from the available pool and such improper use is encouraged by allowing applicants to do this at no cost by tasting and kiting.
06 Sep 07
none
06 Sep 07
none
31 Aug 07
This is not an area for ICANN involvement.
31 Aug 07
I believe this survey is biased towards the elimination of tasting or imposition of fees that would have the same effect to me. I believe this because of the way the questions are written, and the same questions asked multiple times in different ways to try to get an answer to one form of the question that supports that bias.
30 Aug 07
none
27 Aug 07
no
27 Aug 07
no comment
23 Aug 07
Thanks for the opportunity.
23 Aug 07
No additional comment.
23 Aug 07
As a registrar that doesn't taste domains, all I ask for is that, don't put tension on the relationship between registrants and registrars because, at the end of the day, registrants are those who afford the whole system.
22 Aug 07

22 Aug 07
This is really not an issue that ICANN should be involved with. This should be handled at the registry / regstrar layer without ICANN's involvement. PIR has already demonstrated an ability to react to the situation, and other registries should follow suit.

When the market conditions change, the behavior of the domain tasters will change. As long as their margins are high, they will adapt to any arbitrary rules that ICANN tries to impose. Meanwhile, it is the registries and registrars (who, for the most part, do not participate in tasting) that will be burdened.
22 Aug 07
I think it is important to narrow down the exact problem people are experiencing.

Is the problem really "Tasting" or is the problem perhaps "registrations" and then "infringements" of "trademarked names"? That is not the same thing as "Tasting" and will not be solved by removing the AGP.

Try to differentiate "Tasting" from "Monetization" and other phenomenas.
22 Aug 07
Congratulation to all ICANN members and to the DTWG !
22 Aug 07
thank you for taking seriously in account this problem and taking necessary steps to stop it
21 Aug 07
Thanks for holding the poll!
21 Aug 07
The AGP rules mean that registrars have to handle double transactions for domains that might be tasted without getting paid for it, and this gives them a strong incentive not to verify credit card information until after the AGP, which is a Bad Idea. They should be allowed to collect at least part of the fees they charge, and should have to pay the Registry and ICANN, and should have to keep whois information around for the returned domains.
20 Aug 07
Thank you for taking the time to study this issue thoroughly.
20 Aug 07
My basis for my comments are derived from what I have seen take place as the AGP was enacted. There are those who misinform the public, citing cybersquatting and tasting and making them sound like criminals, and this is not the case.

The real issue, is is there an unfair advantage in the marketplace.

Yes, there is. At the registrar level.

'Tasting' encourages temporary registration of domains.
The 'AGP' encourages tasting

If registrars, using their own systems, can take advantage of the AGP, they will if they have a cause.
20 Aug 07
You are welcome...
20 Aug 07
The registrars participating on domain warehousing.
19 Aug 07
It never ceases to amaze me how corrupt the domain name system is and what bad Registrars and their bad customers can get away with.
19 Aug 07
It never ceases to amaze me how corrupt the domain name process is and what bad Registrars and their bad customers can get away with.
17 Aug 07
I have provided my insight and concerns that reflect the thoughts of many users and legitimate business owners. I hope those of you reviewing these surveys understand the impact of your influence on the decisions. Lets work together to bring back the spark the internet once had during its infants y and don't let it become a virtual burial ground.
16 Aug 07
thanks
16 Aug 07
Thanks for reading my poor english.

--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
Director, At-Large
ICANN
Tel: +33 (450) 40 46 88
USA Tel: +1 (202) 657-5460
Fax: +41 (22) 595 85 44
mobile: +41 (79) 595 54 68
email: nick.ashton-hart@xxxxxxxxx
Win IM: ashtonhart@xxxxxxxxxxx / AIM/iSight: nashtonhart@xxxxxxx / Skype: nashtonhart
Online Bio:   https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashtonhart

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy