ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Draft Motion

  • To: Kristina Rosette <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Draft Motion
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 01:41:14 -0700

we should recommend the amending of the registry agreement. Would it better to
just recommend it as a consensus policy that the registies would be required to
implement. That's assuming of course that it falls within their picket
fence.</div>
Policy<BR>The Go Daddy Group, Inc.<BR>Direct: 319-329-9804<BR>Fax:
480-247-4516<BR><A href="mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx";>tim@xxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><BR>How
am I doing? Please contact my direct supervisor at <A
href="mailto:president@xxxxxxxxxxx";>president@xxxxxxxxxxx</A> with any
feedback.<BR><BR>This email message and any attachments hereto is intended for
use only by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential
information. If you have received this email in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete the original and any copy of this
message and its attachments.<BR><BR><BR></div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE:
[gnso-dt-wg] Draft Motion<BR>From: Tim Ruiz &lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date:
Wed, February 06, 2008 2:31 am<BR>To: "Rosette,Kristina"
&lt;krosette@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR><BR>
<DIV>Kristina,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My edits in the attached redline, and indicated in red the changes in the
copy below. I think it is best to just state in general terms that we are not
intending to prohibit a registry's right to propose more restrictive measures.
That may include additional fees, a lower allowance, etc.</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR>Tim Ruiz<BR>Vice President<BR>Corp. Development &amp;
Policy<BR>The Go Daddy Group, Inc.<BR>Direct: 319-329-9804<BR>Fax:
480-247-4516<BR><A href="mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx"; target=_blank
_onClick="Popup.composeWindow('pcompose.php?sendto=tim%40godaddy.com');; return
false;">tim@xxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><BR>How am I doing? Please contact my direct
supervisor at <A href="mailto:president@xxxxxxxxxxx"; target=_blank
_onClick="Popup.composeWindow('pcompose.php?sendto=president%40godaddy.com');;
return false;">president@xxxxxxxxxxx</A> with any feedback.<BR><BR>This email
message and any attachments hereto is intended for use only by the addressee(s)
named herein and may contain confidential information. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently
delete the original and any copy of this message and its
attachments.<BR><BR><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: [gnso-dt-wg]
Draft Motion<BR>From: "Rosette, Kristina" &lt;krosette@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date:
Tue, February 05, 2008 8:17 pm<BR>To: &lt;gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>All,</FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>As promised, attached and copied below are a draft
motion.&nbsp; I am happy to continue to act as scribe for purposes of
revisions, but would be grateful if substantive revisions were posted in
redline form.&nbsp; I think we need to aim to have a "final" (assuming, of
course, that we reach agreement) by tomorrow at noon PST.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Kristina</FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>-*-</FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=center><FONT face="Times New Roman">Domain Tasting Design Team
Motion </FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=center><FONT face="Times New Roman">5 February 2008 draft
</FONT></DIV><BR>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, the GNSO Council has
discussed the </FONT><A
href="http://gnso.icann.org/issues/domain-tasting/gnso-domain-tasting-report-14jun07.pdf";
 target=_blank><U><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>Issues Report on
Domain Tasting</FONT></U></A><FONT face="Times New Roman"> and has acknowledged
the </FONT><A
href="http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-domain-tasting-adhoc-outcomes-report-final.pdf";
 target=_blank><U><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>Final Outcomes
Report of the ad hoc group on Domain Tasting</FONT></U></A><FONT face="Times
New Roman">;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, the GNSO Council
resolved on 31 October 2007 to launch a PDP on Domain Tasting and to encourage
staff to apply ICANN's fee collections to names registered and subsequently
de-registered during the AGP;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, the Board of Directors
resolved on 23 January 2008 to encourage ICANN's budgetary process to include
fees for all domains added, including domains added during the AGP, and
encouraged community discussion involved in developing the ICANN budget,
subject to both Board approval and registrar approval of this fee;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, the GNSO Council has
[will have] received the Final Report on Domain Tasting [final title tbd];
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, the By-Laws require
the GNSO Council Chair to call, within ten (10) days of receipt of the Final
Report, for a formal Council meeting in which the Council will work towards
achieving a Supermajority Vote to present to the Board;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, the GNSO Council
acknowledges both that some stakeholders have advocated the elimination of the
AGP as a means to combat the abuse of it and that other stakeholders have
advocated the retention of the AGP as a means to pursue legitimate, non-abusive
uses of it;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, the GNSO Council
welcomes the Board of Directors&rsquo; 23 January 2008 resolution pertaining to
inclusion of fees for all domain names added, and wishes to recommend to the
Board of Directors a Consensus Policy to address the abuses of the AGP and to
maintain the availability of the AGP for legitimate, non-abusive
uses;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Whereas, PIR, the .org registry
operator, has amended its Registry Agreement to charge an Excess Deletion Fee
and NeuStar, the .biz registry operator, is seeking an amendment to its
Registry Agreement to modify the existing AGP;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">Therefore, the GNSO Council
resolves as follows:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">1.&nbsp; To recommend to the
Board of Directors that it adopt a Consensus Policy to (i) restrict
applicability of the AGP to a maximum of 50 deletes per registrar per month or
10% of that registrar&rsquo;s net new monthly domain name registrations,
whichever is greater; and (ii) deem a registrar&rsquo;s deletes in excess of
this maximum to be indicative of, barring exceptional circumstances,
speculative registrations; while (iii) <FONT color=#ff0000>not intending to
prohibit a registry the flexibility of proposing more restrictive excess
deletion rules.</FONT> </FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">2.&nbsp; To suggest to the
Board of Directors that the Consensus Policy may be implemented by amending
Section 3.1.1 to Appendix 7 of each Registry Agreement to read as
follows:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=justify><I><FONT face="Times New Roman">Delete</FONT></I><FONT
face="Times New Roman">:&nbsp; If a domain is deleted within the</FONT><I>
<FONT face="Times New Roman">Add Grace Period</FONT></I><FONT face="Times New
Roman">, the sponsoring Registrar at the time of the deletion is credited for
the amount of the registration; provided, however, that the number of domains
to which such credit shall apply shall not exceed 50 deletes per month or 10%
of that sponsoring Registrar&rsquo;s net new monthly domain name registrations,
whichever is greater (&ldquo;Usual Deletes&rdquo;); and further provided,
however, that the Registry Operator shall have the right to&nbsp;<FONT
color=#ff0000>propose more restrictive rules</FONT>&nbsp;for deletes in excess
of Usual Deletes during the</FONT><I> <FONT face="Times New Roman">Add Grace
Period</FONT></I><FONT face="Times New Roman">.&nbsp; Deletes in excess of
Usual Deletes are, barring exceptional circumstances, indicative of spec!
 ! ulative registrations.&nbsp; The domain is deleted from the Registry
database and is immediately available for registration by any Registrar. See
Section 3.2 for a description of overlapping grace period
exceptions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=justify><FONT face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>&lt;&lt;Draft GNSO Council tasting
motion - SCRUBBED on 02-05-08 21_11.DOC&gt;&gt;
</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></body></html>