ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-et]

[gnso-et] RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Some Ambiguities to Clean Up?

  • To: "KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx" <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>, "william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>, "owner-gnso-et@xxxxxxxxx" <owner-gnso-et@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-et@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-et@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-et] RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Some Ambiguities to Clean Up?
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:26:59 -0800

From: KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: dimanche 21 février 2010 22:39
To: william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx;
Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22G=E9ry_de_Saint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Glen de Saint
Subject: AW: [gnso-arr-dt] Some Ambiguities to Clean Up?

Von: Knoben, Wolf-Ulrich
Gesendet: Sonntag, 21. Februar 2010 22:32
An: 'William Drake'; gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22G=E9ry_de_Saint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; _Glen=22?=
Betreff: AW: [gnso-arr-dt] Some Ambiguities to Clean Up?

________________________________
Von: owner-gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx] Im
Auftrag von William Drake
Gesendet: Sonntag, 21. Februar 2010 21:26
An: gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22G=E9ry_de_Saint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; _Glen=22?=
Betreff: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Some Ambiguities to Clean Up?
Hello,

Returning after a day largely away from the computer (highly recommended) a
couple last odds and ends occur to me.  Maybe I'm being finicky and none of
this actually matters, but I'm wondering if it's possible someone somewhere
might get confused....

1.  Publicizing the Time Line

Glen has sent SG chairs the note about the motion passing and pointers to the
docs, but to understand what happens when, some people might get lost flipping
between the motion, Action Plan, and various emails updates sent along the way
referring to different dates.  Perhaps now that the dust has settled it would
make sense to post on the GNSO website and/or include in a follow up message to
chairs a clear and simple time line?  Is the below our collective understanding?

7  March
Applications Due at ICANN,
rtcandidatures@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:rtcandidatures@xxxxxxxxx>  (although the call
says to apply via an SO/AC)
ok!
14 March (hopefully earlier, e.g. after constituency day)
[WUK: ] Earlier would be better. I'm still on travel with no E-Mail access
SGs to notify GNSO Secretariat of their nominations and provide guidance to
their Councilors on votes for the two slots

14 March
Evaluation Team is to report to Council on its assessment (which may not be
able to take into consideration the SG's nominations).  NB: The motion says
this will happen not later than 10 March or 14 March, which might confuse
people, but unless the pool's quite shallow it's a fair bet the ET will not be
done the 10th
[WUK: ] The weekend after the Nairobi meeting shall be hard to organize
coordination on that topic since people are travelling. I'll be ready on 15
March again.

15-17th March
Council call to vote.  It'd be good to announce the actual date in a timeline
asap.  Hopefully we can do it the 15th or 16th since if the result is poor with
respect to diversity and there are options to correct, the ET will have to
figure something out rather quickly in consultation with the SGs in order to
get council sign off and send to Janis and Peter the 17th.

2.  Clean Ups

*The motion as passed lists several possible dates for the ET deliverables and
council call.  This might confuse someone who later looks at this and not the
finalized timeline.  Is it procedurally possible to clean up the motion post
hoc, or do we leave as is?

*The process and action plan docs living on the web have URLs dated 10 February
and showing them as "drafts" and "proposals," but were amended and finalized
after that date.  I believe earlier versions with stuff redlined etc also were
circulated as 10 February, and someone might have saved or otherwise stumble
across these somewhere.  Might it make sense to, e.g., replace
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-endnominees-process-proposal-10feb10-en.pdf
with something indicating this is final?

*ICANN still has up at
http://www.icann.org/en/reviews/affirmation/call-for-applicants-11jan10-en.pdf
the call for apps saying, inter alia,

"This is a permanent call for applications; however, candidatures for the first
review 'Accountability and Transparency' will be accepted until the 17th of
February 2010 at midnight UTC...
Applicants for this review will be informed of the result of their application
by (tentatively) the 20th of February 2010...
Selected members of the first review team (Accountability and Transparency)
will meet in person on the margins of the ICANN meeting in Nairobi (7 to 12
March 2010), if present."

None of which is true anymore.  And this,

"Expected starting dates of the first round of reviews are:
1. Accountability and transparency - April 2010"

Sounds a tad optimistic now.
[WUK: ] The Updated Call for Applicants for the Position of Volunteer Review
Team Member<http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-03feb10-en.htm>
on the ICANN website should be clear for potential applicants.

3.  DT and ET

How do we see the division of labor between the ET and DT with respect to
outstanding issues?  Internal ET work process questions are of course for the
ET, but there are some larger unresolved matters that will affect their
activities which were previously being tackled in the DT for recommendation to
the council. In practical terms it's probably not a big issue in terms of
carrying on prior conversations, inter alia because the memberships overlap a
good deal (well, there's about a half dozen more folks in the DT, and Adrian
wasn't here for the fun), but I don't know whether there'd be any issues in
terms of GNSO procedural correctness/mandates etc...?

For example, we did not decide either in the DT or on the Council call

*how many candidates each SG can nominate for the open slot (I thought I'd seen
a follow up message from Chuck to the SG chairs removing the brackets on up to
two, but can't find it...)
[WUK: ]  All SG candidates on top of the ones nominated for the SG slots shall
be given a second chance.

*how many candidates there can be for the unaffiliated slot (if we want a
limit, or parity with the other)

*what the core mandate of the ET is...we opted not to lock in "ranking" by
definition and went for the TBD "assess"...and how this'll be done.
[WUK: ] The ET could try to file a recommendation along the general ICANN and
specific GNSO criteria

*how the ET will do the diversity thing if the first round fails on that score

Do we just shift everything from DT=>ET now, let the ET figure out all the
above, and reboot the DT in April vis the long-term RT approach?

Thanks,

Bill

On Feb 16, 2010, at 3:54 PM, <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>>