ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Jump start on answering GNSO questions regarding fast flux

  • To: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Jump start on answering GNSO questions regarding fast flux
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:16:01 -0700

Some observations:

1. Fast flux is only one method of evasion. Please let¹s keep this in mind.

2. The notion of not burdening legitimate customers is a noble one, but
identifying a means of distinguishing good actors from bad is a hard nut to
crack. The criteria of ³old, stable customers² that you suggest provides a
profile for a bad actor to emulate when he impersonates a good actor, or
incents a bad actor to attack a good actor. For example, if the registrant
for example.com is a good actor, an attacker has strong incentives to spear
phish that or socially engineer that registrant¹s contacts. As I suggested
in my earlier post, I believe we have to think multi-dimensionally when we
try to distinguish normal from anomalous behavior.

3. The idea of using age as a criteria for ³unburdening² a domain registrant
­ old customer versus new ­ is hard for me to grasp. It sounds like you are
proposing some form of reputation system, where a registrant is not
considered trustworthy until it demonstrates some prescribed behavior or
³good behavior over time²? Or do you mean something else?