ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Draft - How are registrants affected by fast flux hosting?

  • To: mike@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Draft - How are registrants affected by fast flux hosting?
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:21:38 -0700

Mike mentioned:

#This is an email to kick off a draft answer to the question "How are
#registrants affected by fast flux hosting?"
#
#I'm just seeding the discussion, not writing a draft for people to
#shoot at.  Mostly because I can't come up with any
#"registrant-specific" impacts from fast-flux.
#
#Please help!

I suspect that registrants may not be materially impacted by fastflux
NOW, but depending on what steps are taken to cope with fastflux, they
*may* be materially impacted in the FUTURE. Thus, I would suggest modifying
the tense abd scope of the question very slightly to be what was probably
intended (crystal ball mode<--ON):

  "How are, or how *might* registrants forseeably be affected by fastflux
   hosting or some of the potential responses thereto?"

For instance, because fastflux hosting involves surreptitious criminal
use of other people's systems, and typically also involve criminal
content on the hosted site, fastflux domains by definition will not
contain valid point of contact information mapping to the true owner
of the domain. Thus, as part of a campaign to reduce fastflux, one
might imagine an effort to insure that all registrants provide valid
identification as an integral part of the process of registering a
domain.

This would obviously be a huge change for registrants, as well as a
huge new responsibility for registrars/registration service
providers (and yet who among us would go to the airport expecting to
painlessly board a plane w/o a passport or drivers license, eh?)

But I don't mean to speculate on a response to this question unless/until
my "slight" spin to phrasing of the question has been at least tentatively
accepted.

Regards,

Joe