ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Crafting a solution for fast flux

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Crafting a solution for fast flux
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:14:17 -0700

There appears to be more and more evidence that there are legit uses for fast flux which makes me wonder what we should do about it. I should ask this question.

If there are legit uses for fast flux, especially relating to free speech, then should we work to block it?

It also supports some of the suggestions I've put forth. That we craft a policy to make more information available through DNS to help others detect fast flux. Then others, like myself and other spam filtering systems, can use this information to help determine if email is spam or free speech. The idea being that if a domain is fast fluxing AND it wants you to give up your bank account information, that's not free speech, that fraud.

I don't think ICANN policy itself is going to stop fraud. However if Whois information is provided through DNS information servers then it can help others stop fraud.

Thoughts?