ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Crafting a solution for fast flux

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx >> \"gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx\"" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Crafting a solution for fast flux
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:50:47 -0700

Now to address Joe's ideas individually.

Joe St Sauver wrote:
Marc asked:

#If I'm not jumping into the solution side to fast, what do you think is #the best solution?

I don't think any single thing will eliminate fastflux, I think a
multipronged strategy will be needed (including improved information
sharing, as you've suggested). A short/very incomplete list:

-- Publicly encourage service providers to have abuse reporting addresses,
and current domain/IP/ASN whois point of contact data (including an explicit abuse contact in those whois records). Flag those who elect NOT to do so.
I agree in general but we also need to migrate or mirror whois data to a DNS based system so that it can be queried through automation rather than manually. Whois is a manual protocol and not suitable for real time queries by spam filtering systems. Thus the information in Whois is useless to me unless I'm doing it by hand.
-- Name servers in domain registrations should be identified as static or
   dynamic by the registrant. If static name servers, the IP's used for
those name servers should be provided. If dynamic, that's fine, but sites electing to use dynamic name servers should expect that their choice will be taken into account when other sites assess their reputation and decide what (if anything) they want to do with their traffic. Charge a premium for dynamic name server domains.

-- Changes to static name server IPs should also incur a nominal fee, split
   between ICANN and the Registry, with the funds received from that fee
should be dedicated to abuse handling/security-related purposes at ICANN and each Registry.
I'm generally opposed to using fees as an anti-spam solution. The reason to me is somewhat obvious. Spammers have/make a lot of money and can afford it. Fees tend to discourage use by poor people. A small fee to us is a day's wages in parts of Africa. Alternatively we should require capcha to eliminate automation, and if automation is required by legit services then charge a fee for automation access.

-- Encourage ISPs to document IP address ranges which should NOT be
   hosting web pages or DNS servers, much as the PBL is used to document
   IP address ranges which should not be emitting email.
I'm totally with you on this. I think there are a lot of things the ISPs can do to eliminate spambots. I think consumer modems should, be default, provide NAT or the ISP should just give consumers fake net addresses (10.x.x.x) so that the web can't surf them. The idea being that the average person is not a technical wizard and needs to be protected from the internet. Thus if they got hacked and became a web server or DNS server no one could reach it.

In such a sustem the more advanced user could turn off the NAT and get a real IP to do what they do now. The threshold being that they go to the trouble to turn NAT off and have the minimal skills to do that. Thus freedom is protected and consumers are protected from the web surfing them.

Also - ISPs by default should block port 25 and outgoing email should use 587 to talk to outgoing SMTP servers. Port 25 should be a server to server port only. Again - the user would be allowed to open port 25 manually to run a legitimate email server. But by default viruses would be isolated.

I could go on forever about ISP policy but I'll say one more thing. If there were an open source project to create tools for ISPs to manage spambots I think ISPs would use them. So if such a project were created then I think it would take a big bite out of the spambot world.

-- Fix the WDPRS process, so that fastflux domains with bogus contact
   information can be efficiently reported.
I agree that reporting is key. Especially automated reporting so that if an ISP gets reports from several sources about one customer then by using automation that IP could be closed on the offending port. I think this can be solved with an open source project to provide ISPs with tools.

   What would such a "fix" entail? Well, I'd start with:

   1) If one domain with a given bit of bad information is reported,
      make it possible for submitters to request equivalent treatment
      for ALL domains that share that same specific information defect.

      Thus, for example, if someone registers 150 domains that all
      have the hypothetical and obviously bogus address:

blah blah blah you can't catch me
      north, pole 99999

do NOT require someone reporting those addresses to report all (or some fraction of all) 150 domains one-by-one.
Yes - even fake domain owners can be classified by being the same fake owner. Thus if someone had 150 domains and multiple domains were receiving complaints action can be taken against all of them.

   2) Publish monthly summaries of unique complaint volumes by registrar,
      by TLD, and by name server. Also provide a report by privacy
protection service associated with complained-of domains.
I don't quite understand this. Joe - you could build a wiki outlining all these ideas.
3) FOLLOW UP on WDPRS complaints and make sure that something is DONE about the issues which get identified.

   4) Provide a channel for Internet users to report illegal domain use
(currently it is rather ironic that ICANN will let me report a domain for having the wrong zip code, but not for hosting a phishing site or child pr0n -- something's wrong there, I think).

5) Allow users to flag domains that appear to be fastfluxing.
These suggestion require 2 things that I'm asking for. Whois information through DNS and an automated way to send the message to the correct abuse address.

Suppose such information existed. Then the user can click on the "this is spam" button and the message is sent to the abuse department that handles the source where it came from. Thus the ISP would know instantly where the problems are.

-- Encourage the creation of national cleanup resources for those whose systems have been infected by bots. These resources may vary from country
   to country, but should include technical experts who can help clean
   and harden infected systems (along the lines of what I proposed in
   http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/ecrime-summit/ecrime-summit.pdf )
Require Microsoft to make security patches available to the public to be used even on pirated copies of Windows.
-- Encourage ISPs to instrument their own networks, so they have
visibility into what's being done *with* their resources, and *to* their customers. Fastflux can only survive if networks are blind to upstream hosts.

To me the word "encourage" is the same as providing ISPs with free tools. I'm sure 99% of ISPs are in total agreement but like the how-to ability to make it happen. I think if they had the tools available they would use them.

Maybe it's a matter of funding it. Suppose we raised a few million bucks and funded an open source project to create tools for ISPs to clean spambots from their networks? Maybe that's the solution?