[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The plan for the rest of the week, and an assignment that is due by mid-day tomorrow
- To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The plan for the rest of the week, and an assignment that is due by mid-day tomorrow
- From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:55:25 -0500
I have digested the suggestions, on and off list, and have come up
with the following approach to the next 3 days.
1) Each of us will write our own version of the Answers to the
Questions -- these are due by 15:00 UTC Thursday (same time as our
conference call). I will pull a 1st-draft summary identifying the
major positions. We can use that draft during the Friday call as
the basis for selecting a rough-consensus option for each question,
plus alternate positions.
2) Meanwhile, I will draft two preliminary charters for next-step
projects (one a continuation of this effort, the other based on the
broader Proposal which I floated earlier this week), which we can
also review during the phone call. Warning: neither will be framed
as formal PDPs -- one will be a research project aimed at fleshing
out the definition and prevalence of Fast Flux, the other will be the
first phase of the broader Proposal. We will ask for Constituency
input on which course (if any) they prefer.
3) People can submit drafts, or place-holders, for Appendices to the
report. These can range from case studies (Randy's working on a cool
one), to algorithms, to discussions related topics. Final versions
of the Appendices are due by 15:00 UTC next Wednesday.
4) Somebody will volunteer to run the phone call a week from Friday
(I'll be on the call, but recovering from surgery and not up to
running a call) at which point we will finalize our draft Interim
Report and kick it out for Round-2 Constituency Review.
5) We will ask for a short extension in order to accommodate this
2-week slip in our schedule.
1) Prepare your versions of "the answers"
There is consensus that we should report out the answers we have at
this point, even though we haven't been able to arrive at consensus
on what they are.
We have all learned a lot over the last month. Please reflect on the
conversation we've had, and write brief answers that summarizes what
you've learned and what you think your constituency can support. The
only Round-1 Constituency Input I've seen is from the Registry
Constituency -- that's a great example to use. Try not to stake out
extreme positions -- accommodate your fellow WG members' views if you can.
A request. By "brief" I mean brief. If you write 2000 words, you're
not likely to see your words in the draft. Please edit your drafts
before submitting them.
You can submit your answers to the list, or to me directly. But do
*NOT* re-ignite our various debates by responding to somebody's
answers if they're posted on the list. Anybody who does runs the
risk of incurring the Wrath of the Chair. We are done with the
debating-society phase of this working group.
Same rules apply as Round-1 -- you don't have to answer every
question, but this is your chance to influence the draft. I will
"clump" them into as many positions as are needed to summarize the
various points of view and we will see if we can come to
rough-consensus around one for each question during the phone call.
2) I will prepare draft charters
Not much to say here. Except that I am going to force the PDP
process issue a little by framing these as projects rather than
PDPs. They may contain a PDP as a review/approval component.
A lot of us took a lot of time framing certain emails on the
list. Review your posts and see if some of them should be attached
to the report as Appendices. My inclination is to include them with bylines.
4) Phone-call leader
As you know, running a meeting is a hard job and a person should
avoid doing that when they're not at their peak. I'm going to be
recovering from surgery (the day before) and will likely be way way
below par. So we need a meeting-runner. The volunteer will be
rewarded with a gold star for running the meeting and taking us
across the finish line.
5) Two-week extension
We will have slipped about 2 weeks from the posted schedule, so I
will work through Mike R to request an extension from the
Council. I have no appetite for asking for a longer extension to
continue the debate -- note, if you argue this point I'm likely to
perceive that you're volunteering to take up the Chair mantle in my place. :-)
That's it folks. A little push for you over the next 24 hours, plus
a little push for me over the next 48, and I hope we'll be there.