ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Detecting new domains

  • To: Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Detecting new domains
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 08:03:08 -0700

I'm working on what might be a breakthrough in detecting newly registered domains that are driving fast flux. I'm still accumulating data but here is how it works.

As you know it's difficult if not impossible to get real time lists of tasting domains. So what I'm doing is accumulating lists of existing domains and storing them in a list of what I will call "familiar" domains. The idea is that if the domain isn't on the list then it will be "unfamiliar".

Of course although this will catch all brand new domains - it will catch a lot of others as well. But that's not an issue because this is just information - not blocking.

Then - botnet spam is easy to detect. So if I detect botnet spam that contains links to unfamiliar domains then there's an extremely likelihood these unfamiliar domains are pointing to fraud/fast flux. At least that's what I'm exploring.