ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Possible additional registries to mention for page 37 footnote

  • To: "'Dave Piscitello'" <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Joe St Sauver'" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Possible additional registries to mention for page 37 footnote
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:32:57 -0500

All--

Below is the language I propose -- references some good summaries.

<proposal>

1082 The Working Group would like to point out that a number of registries
-- including generic,
1083 sponsored, and country code TLDs - currently have policies that might
serve as examples of
1084 how TLDs can take individual action in the area of domain abuse.
Various TLDs are
1085 differently situated, and have different needs and approaches in this
area. [INSERT FOOTNOTE HERE]

FOOTNOTE:
Related to policies, a purpose of the recent "GNSO Issues Report on
Registration Abuse Policies" was to "identify and describe various
provisions in a representative sampling of gTLD registration agreements
which relate to contracting parties' and/or registrants rights and
obligations with respect to abuse."
[http://does-not-exist.org/mail-archives/council/pdfdV1ZIs2xi1.pdf]  The
report found that among the gTLDs, "research found that eleven out of
sixteen gTLDs have provisions in place that address (seven of eleven) or
potentially could address (four of eleven) abuse."  Many ccTLDs also have
policies against criminal and/or abusive uses of domain names, with .DE
(http://www.denic.de/en/domainbedingungen.html) and .UK
(http://www.nominet.org.uk/nominet-terms) being but two examples.  Related
to needs, various studies have demonstrated that the amount and types of
abuses vary greatly from TLD to TLD, and that some TLDs do not suffer
certain types of abusive domain name uses at all.  For examples, see the
Data Annex to this FFWG report by Arbor Networks and Karmasphere, The
Anti-Phishing Working Group's "Global Phishing Survey: Domain Name Use and
Trends in 1H2008" report
(http://www.apwg.org/reports/APWG_GlobalPhishingSurvey1H2008.pdf), and
URIBL.COM TLD statistics (http://rss.uribl.com/tlds/).

</proposal>