ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information based solutions instead of policy based solutions
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:55:13 -0700

Dave Piscitello wrote:
I'm separating comments on TXT overloading from something else you mention later that is very important.

The scenario I think about when we talk about a free-format field like TXT is the following:

Community A says "Let's use TXT in the following way: dotted quad followed by 3 space separated fields."

Community B says "Let's use TXT in the following way: dotted quad followed by 1 field."

How does a DNS client know whether the TXT record it receives has been populated by a name server attempting to comply with Community A or B? What is a name server must comply with both communities?

As an example of how this is handled in an IETF standard, several protocols have "vendor-specific" fields (DHCP, NHRP and X-AUTH come to mind). The vendor ID might be the 24 vendor/manufacture bits from an Ethernet MAC, or whatever is needed to make absolutely sure that the recipient of the protocol message/packet knows exactly how to process the message.

Now, look at your SpamHaus example. You've gone beyond just saying "hey let's use TXT" to "hey, let's use TXT in a manner consistent with a *standard*". In other words, to achieve what you want, you could use the 127.0.0.0/8 space as a community/policy identifier for Marc's purpose.

This is no longer overloading DNS TXT but *structuring* TXT in a standard manner. I am very OK with this in principle, and would hope that we would take such a proposal to the IETF as did the blacklisting folks.

Note that the blacklist folks are effectively created a new identifier, and that this list should eventually be maintained by IANA. Note also that if the DNSBL BCP is not approved, then the assumed structure disappears and you're back to having ambiguity.

I'm assuming that if we go with this idea that we would write a specification for what the TXT response returns. What I would suggest is something that's expandable perhaps using keyword data pairs.

registrar="tucows.com" created="04-15-2006" changeinfo="4 20 100" techemail="abuse@xxxxxxxxxxx"