ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DNS data - howto - and costs involved

• To: gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DNS data - howto - and costs involved
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:15:02 -0700

Some people are concerned about the burden/complexity of implementing based Whois. Perhaps Joe can help offer details as he knows more about this that I do. But I'll start the discussion.

There is an open source utility called rbldnsd which is extremely good and very easy to implement. It is a DNS server like Bind but it is optimized towards providing information and is far faster and memory efficient than Bind. The rbldnsd program is used extensively in the spam filtering world for IP based black lists as well as name based lists (FQDN Fully Qualified Domain Name as in example.com).

The software uses extremely simple text file for configuration. These text file can be generated in many cases with simple shell scripts. These raw zone files can also be made available for downloading so as to reduce DNS lookup traffic. And it may end up structured in a way where each registrar provides the DNS just like Whois for the data under their control.

Perhaps some of you might have more specific ideas about how to implement it but I want to make the point that I think the implementayion is going to be both easy and inexpensive and that the cost will be trivial and not cut into the registrars slim margins. In fact it might solve problem and actually reduce registrars costs due to efficiencies it creates.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy