ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Understanding Fast Flux Fraud

  • To: marc@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Understanding Fast Flux Fraud
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:44:27 -0700

Marc asked:

#Tell me if this is accurate. Whenever there is fraud based fast flux
#there is also a spam component that is spreading the word that links to
#the fast flux domain. That's what gets people interested in the fluxing
#domain. Fast Flux scams have a spam component.
#
#Is this an accurate assumption?

Correct, fastflux is strongly associated with spam (although note that
the spam may be email spam, or spam injected into a wiki or other
writable web page, or whatever), and that's why at least some of us
are interested in it.

Also while fastflux is sometimes scamy (prime example: phishing),
other times it is being used in conjunction with a product that
actually exists and which will actually may be delivered if purchased,
at least to the best of the seller's ability modulo things like
customs interdiction of shipments. Prime example: illegal controlled
substances sold via a fastflux web site w/o a prescription.

Thus, I wouldn't necessarily talk about "fast flux *scams*" per se --
some FF usage will be scammy, while other may not be.

Regards,

Joe