ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Saturday Harms

  • To: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Saturday Harms
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:33:32 -0700

Eric,

I think you have taken a very limited view of harm. The fast flux techniques
themselves do not, in the strictest sense, cause the ills that I mentioned and
Joe repeats and amplifies below. This seems to be similar to the "guns don't
kill people" conclusion. At a metalevel this may be true, but we can also
debate that criminals could not kill people at such great distances, with such
efficiency, if guns were not better controlled.

(Let's not do so on or off this list, I use it as an analogue only.)

Clearly since mine was the original opinion of "who is harmed?", I needn't
restate what I've already written. If I were to write a slightly less blunt
expression of my perspective than Joe's, I would say all the following are
contributing factors to the harm inflicted upon registrants

 1.  fast flux techniques
 2.  malicious software developers
 3.  spam list compilers
 4.  software manufacturers  who do not sufficiently invest in secure code
development
 5.  users who do not exercise care and discretion when using Internet
applications and who do not maintain appropriate defenses against malicious code
 6.  ISPs who do not provide adequate measures against spoofing
 7.  every party involved with the domain name registration process who
perpetuates a practice of accepting registrations without demanding accurate
and complete registration information
 8.  manufacturers and producers of placebo and harmful drugs, bogus products,
illicit material, etc.  sold at web sites whose duration of operation is
effectively sustained when fast flux techniques are employed
 9.  credit card and identity thieves
 10. money mules
 11. bullet proof and "look no further" hosting companies who host (3)
 12. criminals

The list goes on and on...

We can address some of the things on this list. SSAC and others have attempted
to address (6) thru BCP038 and SAC004/SAC010. Perhaps through an ICANN policy
and perhaps through a set of recommended practices we might address (1) and (7).