ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The Definition of Fast Flux

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The Definition of Fast Flux
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:36:51 -0700

Mike O'Connor wrote:

We are trying so
hard to do no harm to non-criminal cases but at the same time we persist in
treating the two applications as one.

If it is consentual, it is not fast flux.
If it is consentual, it is not a bot net.

I'm more comfortable using this as the fingerprint. Could we simply "define away" the consentual-botnet case that came up on the call? Others?

I agree. I think that what we all mean by bot net is non-consensual. We could get stuck in definitions forever. For example, if someone is tricked into consenting to something that is not what they intended - that also non-consensual.