ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Use of short TTLs - one time events

  • To: "mail=gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Use of short TTLs - one time events
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:45:08 -0700

Just want to raise an issue about restrictions on short TTLs.

Every now and then I (and people like me) and doing some massive migration say from moving from one data center to another. Normally have high TTLs but the day before the move I might lower the TTLs to say 15 minutes so that when the move occurs it can happen fast. After the move happens and everything is looking normal and stable then I put the TTLs back to normal.

In a case like this getting permission to have short TTLs would be somewhat burdensome. So I wanted to throw this in as an example of side effects of short TTLs.

So if there are TTL restrictions I'd like to see the system be smart so that if someone makes a few changes in a short amount of time - but it's a rare event - they can be distinguished for fast flux.