ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Cost of Delay - V1.o

  • To: dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Cost of Delay - V1.o
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:44:59 -0700

#Let's be careful what we claim here.

I agree with Dave. (jeez, I should just get a tee shirt made up with that
phrase)

#I don't think we can claim that solving fast flux" mitigates these problems.

Correct (and note that I didn't claim that it would, just that these are
the social costs that are claimed for some activities which are currently
facilitated by fastflux -- also beware of double counting when tallying up
some of those numbers, since counterfeit merchandise (in general) could
include counterfeit pillz or counterfeit software, for example).

#I'd prefer a tempered interpretation of these stats over one that suggests
#we are about to deliver a Glorious Ultimate Solution to e-crime.

Concur, and in fact, I doubt whether you can ultimately get an accurate
estimate for some of these behaviors because, of course, criminals
tend to be bad about reporting business activity levels and paying taxes,
etc.

Oh yes, when it comes to a Glorius Ultimate Solution to E-Crime, that's
probably closely related to a "FUSSP" (final ultimate solution to the spam
problem), see related vocabulary and usage at:

http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html

:-)

Regards,

Joe

Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own