ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions - DNS Information Solution

  • To: fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed solutions - DNS Information Solution
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:29:01 -0700

Thanks for opening up the solution part of the discussion. I had just sent a version of this email below to Joe St Sauver this morning but perhaps others can jump in.

Let me say this this is a rough idea in development and if there's any problem or objections to it I'd like to hear about it. I'm more than happy to abandoned this idea if it's a bad idea.

I've become aware of some of the controversies around whois, and want to avoid getting in the middle of that. So I'm not going to refer to it as publishing whois through DNS. But for those of you who will say, "this information is already available through whois" - it's not really because the people who would use this need that data in a different form that is compatible with real time queries and the whois protocol just isn't fast enough.

As to concerns about new technology and new standards - what I'm proposing here uses existing technology and existing standards. This is I believe simple stuff that could be implemented in an afternoon. At least it's my goal to keep it that way.

And - the exact implementation - if people like the idea - is up for discussion. There are people in the group who can do a better job on the details than I can. Especially the registrars. Much of this affects the registrars directly so I would particularly want to hear from them. My goal here is to make life easier for everyone except for criminals.

The concept is based around making public information available at high speed so that we on the edges can use it to make real time decisions so as to stop spam carrying links to fast flux domains that are being used improperly. We would be in a position to respond faster to threats, abuses, and changes in tactics than anyone else.

As to privacy, if anything here is a threat to privacy, freedoms, or civil liberties I want to know about that. The preservation of Internet freedom is extremely important and must be preserved.

This information is not only for detecting fast flux, but also what is not fast flux. The idea is not only to catch the bad guys, but to avoid false positives. Thus if a domain is fluxing, but it's an old stable domain and it's paid up 5 years in advance then that information might protect that domain from accidentally being misclassified.

Here's what I'm thinking.

1) Figure out what data would be useful for fighting spam/fast flux/fraud that is easily available. 2) Figure out what is the best way to structure the information (spec out a solution)
3) Avoid whois privacy concerns issue.

Let's say that example.com is listed with tucows.com. Let's say that icann.info will become an information domain. It will be the domain for all centralized data. But - and here's a question I have - some data might be best provided by the registrars. In other words tucows or godaddy might have some of the data. So I'll assume that there will be perhaps a godaddy.info and tucows.info to provide information on the domains they control.

And - I'm just throwing out these as raw ideas. If you have better ideas that would be great.

I'm also thinking that we'll use rbldnsd to distribute the information. The software rbldnsd is a standard open source program that is used in the spam filtering community for blacklist and whitelist information. It's solid - it's fast - and just a few servers would be required to provide information to the whole planet.

So - what information do we need and how do we provide it. First - I think we need to be able to look up the registrar of the domain.

dig example.com.registrar.icann.info txt

This would return "tucows.com". Or - there might be a separate lookup for information servers as follows:

dig example.com.info-server.icann.info txt

Would return tucows.info

With registrar information if there is a problem domain then we can alert the registrar of the problem for automated reporting. So we would assume that "abuse@xxxxxxxxxx" would be the abuse address - or - we can look up the abuse address as follows.

dig example.com.abuse-email.tucows.info txt    or
dig example.com.abuse-email.icann.info txtr - if it is centralized.

I have some ideas on keeping the spammers out of the automated reporting system. But I'm going to save that for later.

In this discussion I'm going to assume that tucows is the source of the data. If this can be centralized that would be great. So - the next issue is what data do we need to fight FF. As to the Whois controversies - we really don't need the owner information because in the case of FF it would all be bogus. But here's what I'd like to know.

Age of the domain - maybe a start date - maybe start date by current owner.

Expiration date - domains that are paid in advance several years are less likely FF domains.

Tech Email - the email address to contact the tech person for the domain - person to contact to alert to problems.

Nameserver Changes - some kind of information indicating the rate that name servers have been changed. (maybe 127.0.0.x codes) indicating some formula of evaluating change rates.

Examples:

dig example.com.domain-age.tucows.info txt
dig example.com.domain-expire.tucows.info txt
dig example.com.abuse-email.tucows.info txt

These might return date or might return a number which represents the ages and expiration in days from the current date.

As a spam filtering company, and this applies to similar operations as well as those doing spam filtering, this information would be helpful, when combined with other information, to determine if email is to be passed or blocked. Most scams have an email/spam component. Scam require that every step in the process work. So if the scam can be stopped or reduced at the spam level then the scam is disrupted and the cost to society is decreased.

Additionally, I am not suggesting this as the only solution but as one of many things we can propose. So this is not instead of everything else.

This proposal also has the quality of being a non-restriction based solution. It doesn't take away anything from rights or liberties nor does it stop existing or future useful technologies. And I believe that the information provided isn't going to do any harm, which is important.

In Conclusion:

What I'm looking for in response is the following.

1) Concerns - tell me why this isn't a good idea.
2) Improvements - tell me how to make the idea better.
3) Unintended consequences - If this is harmful to anyone we are going to want to know it.
4) Burden - if this is going to cause a burden on anyone we need to know it.

And - I'm new to this process. I'm used to jumping in with ideas. Sometimes I come across as pushy or impatient and I'm not always best at explaining the details. So asking in advance that you understand that policy is new to me. I'm a tech geek and I relate to computer better than people sometimes.

Thoughts?