ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Solutions - Trusted abuse reporting

  • To: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Solutions - Trusted abuse reporting
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 07:54:00 -0700

I like this better than a general access proposal that accommodates special DNS
queries. By this I mean, "put the DNS client that queries for the special
information Mark seeks behind an SSL gateway" and don't make it available for
general access and abuse.

I also think that the WDPRS servers could provide a similar "trusted access"
with perhaps some form of bulk submission of questionable registration records.

However, I don't think email is the right method. Authenticated clients via SSL
to a query system behind an SSL server is the model I would propose. You can
implement almost any internet service through an SSL appliance/server with
multi-factor authentication, granular access controls. Since we would not be
talking about tens of thousands of accredited responders, the footprint of such
an implementation is manageable even for registrars who fall into the SMB
category.