ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [Bulk] Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Solutions - Trusted abuse reporting

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Solutions - Trusted abuse reporting
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:56:01 -0700

I think I should talk about the idea of "Trusted Abuse Reporting" and the concerns that Wendy has.

The idea is that people who are processing lots of email like myself and google, yahoo, hotmail, etc, have a mission to block fraud while also making sure good email gets through. We are professionals at this and we have a lot of data that is useful to registrars.

The idea is that we can use automated abuse reporting through closed channels to get the information to the registrar who would be able to do something about it. This benefits everyone in that abusers can be quickly taken offline.

Why a closed system? It's to reduce the background noise and to prevent criminals from attacking the reporting system. If these were open email addresses then the spammers would spam them and consumers would email them and the registrars would have more "noise" to sort through. So limiting this to professionals is for the efficiency of the process.

Wendy is concerned about transparency and the possibility of law enforcement or oppressive governments using the system to oppress free speech, or innocent people affected by false positives. These are all concerns that have to be factored in. My idea is that law enforcement and government would not be part of the system. This is more for mail processing providers. People with lots of information.

And that the registrars receiving this information are not going to shut down a domain due to a single false positive. The idea is that if a domain is using fast flux for fraud then hundreds of filtering operations are going to be sending thousands of complaints throuh the system. So if tucows, for example, sees thousands of complaints coming in about a domain it will get their attention. Then when they look at the forwarded spam that generated the complaint and they see it is clearly phishing they can safely shut it down.

It is my assumption that the Registrar will be responsible and not shut someone down unless they are sure based on the nature and number of complaints submitted through the system. And we complainers would not be able to take anyone down, We are merely providing registrars information in a format that helps them make more accurate decisions.

The assumption is that providing registrars with good information from trusted sources where there is no external noise would not impact the issues that Wendy is concerned about. Membership would just be a process of convincing the group that you have good data to share and you are capable of providing good data to the process. Providers who didn't provide good data would be dropped from the group.

As to liability issues, the registrars would have the complaints that were generated that led to a take down decision so I would assume these would be discoverable should a lawsuit be filed. But in general I think this system would reduce false positives, reduce the workload on the registrars, and stop abuse faster and more accurately.