ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

From Christian -- Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meta: Strawman - Process vs. Policy

• To: "fast Flux Workgroup" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: From Christian -- Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meta: Strawman - Process vs. Policy
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 20:58:55 -0500

the list and Christian's email address aren't getting along at the moment. so i'm acting as intermediary for him while we get it figured out. Christian's post follows...

m

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 16:34:23 -0400
To: gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meta: Strawman - Process vs. Policy
Cc: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 8.0.138 [270.5.10/1585]

I wanted to comment on the discussion we had at the end of the call, and I believe that this is the proper thread. I'll leave the straw man alone for now, but I'd like to comment on the NCUC's broader concerns.

Democratic governments have certain safe-guards in place to prevent those entrusted with power from running rough-shod over personal freedoms we consider important. One of these protections is the electoral process itself, which ensures that those who create the policies of the state and those who wield its power are ultimately accountable to the citizenry at large. Other protections include separation of powers, access to courts, and the constitutional enshrinement of certain fundamental liberties.

Professor Setlzer commented that she gets very nervous when private entities start to act like governments. Both I and the NCUC, share this concern. Private entities like registries, registrars and ICANN are not encumbered by the same liberty-preserving safeguards as governments. For example, the U.S. constitution protects its citizens from certain invasive or unjust conduct by the government. It places little, if any, similar restrictions on similar conduct by private parties.

Any discussion about combating illegal activity at ICANN inherently raises these problems. There is a distinct danger that remedies at this level could transform private parties into a sort of 'speech cop' charged with determining what content is permissible and what is not. As the debacle with Dynadot and Wikileaks demonstrates, it may well be in the best interests of a registrar to ignore the free speech interests of its customer in the face of a powerful angry party. Thrusting registrars, registries or ICANN into this role creates the danger that they could be pushed to implement more restrictive or arbitrary controls than the government can.

Though I respect Mike's comments about compromise generally, I do not believe that it is appropriate with regards to this issue. ICANN does not exist to balance the policies of protecting civil liberties and combatting crime. ICANN exists to coordinate the Internet. The sort of policies we are discussing when we get into balancing free speech concerns against crime prevention belong to democratic governments with their carefully balanced structures and controls.

Respectfully, I must vigorously oppose any proposition that ventures into this forbidden territory.

--Christian

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy