ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [Bulk] [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Mike R's "24/7 abuse queue" proposal

  • To: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Bulk] [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Mike R's "24/7 abuse queue" proposal
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 12:32:33 -0700

Eric commented:

#I appreciate you are a man of beliefs. Thank you for your estimation of
#the cost of your "24/7 abuse queue" proposal, which I don't understand,
#lacking your beliefs or some other context that would result in numeric
#values for a spreadsheet.

Let me attempt to break this out a little...

Putting on my "MBA hat," the costs for handling a 24/7 abuse queue will
vary widely depending on a number of concrete factors, but will, in most
cases be zero or near zero.

Capex? None that I'm aware of. All registrars already have all the
basics (network connectivity, workstations, building space, etc.)

Opex? If you already have a 24/7 NOC to deal with other operational issues,
abuse response could be added as a supplemental duty. Enter "$0.00"
in the spreadsheet for "incremental staff costs" in that case.

Likewise, if abusive customers are already being aggressively screened out,
you may never see much if any business for the abuse desk to handle. In
that case, the total direct incident-related costs will also be zero in
the spreadsheet. Absent registrars (or others) coming forward and saying,
"Yes, heck yes, we're just overrun with miscreants," I'm going to assume
that most registrars will be in this asymptotically small incident count
range, which means that direct variable costs will be more zeros for your
spreadsheet.

Are there other costs I've missed that you're concerned about?

Or is you concern largely with the "micro level" tier of registrars who
are more or less operating from their garage/kitchen table? (Nothing
wrong with that sort of entrepreneurial scale operation, by the way,
just noting that operations are different at that level than if you're
one of the big outfits)

Regards,

Joe

Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own.