ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [Bulk] [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Mike R's "24/7 abuse queue" proposal

  • To: mike@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Bulk] [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Mike R's "24/7 abuse queue" proposal
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:28:14 -0700

Mike mentioned:

#Argh.  I should never write email after a day out in the sun.  I'm
#often not proud of the results the next day.
#
#I'd like to rescind my stupid post.  :-)
#
#No way I'm defending "zero cost."

That's fascinating. So abuse problems are to the point where they are
non-negligible. How bad are they, then? Do people take care of things
with a single abuse person, or is the situation degenerating to the
point where an entire abuse department is required? Are costs 1% of
operating revenues? A tenth of 1%? More? Less?

Perhaps if abuse is really bad, some sort of process change is required?

E.G., think about abuse cases the same way you might think about
manufacturing defects in a factory -- you can continually attempt to
refurbish defective units detected by quality control inspectors, or
you can fix the manufacturing process so the defects don't occur in
the first place.

Can better collaboration or information sharing help to eliminate the
problem?

Regards,

Joe

Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own