ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: From Christian -- Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meta: Strawman - Process vs. Policy

  • To: Christian Curtis <CCurtis79@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: From Christian -- Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meta: Strawman - Process vs. Policy
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:11:20 -0700

Christian,

When I say trusted and you or Wendy substitute "private", you change the
discussion from one I intend to be technical in nature to one that has to do
with law.

When I say "monitoring" and you or Wendy substitute "policing", you infer
something altogether different (with at least some presumption of the potential
for abuse). Again, this context switch takes us down a discourse path
prematurely.

It is very hard to think any technical problem through to completion. It is
harder still when the conversations bifurcate. I find it simpler to study a
problem from a technical perspective and literally in vacuum, to see if a
solution has technical merit (e.g., does it work and scale). If it does, then I
find it easier to look at the non-technical impact. Jumping from "could I
monitor X?" to "is this a violation of a constitutional protection in the
context of a global Internet?" makes problem solving (for me at least) very
difficult.

IMO, trusted and private are very different concepts. So are policing and
monitoring. Cellular phone operators are one example of trusted parties and
they can be public or private depending on where you live. Cellular phone
operators also monitor call signal strength, endpoint (phone) location, etc.
IMO, this is not a policing action.

I'm happy to discuss the concerns you raise. I would like us to be conscious of
how word-swapping affects what we discuss.