ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: From Christian -- Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meta: Strawman - Process vs. Policy

  • To: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: From Christian -- Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Meta: Strawman - Process vs. Policy
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:24:02 -0700

Well said, Marc.

The focus of this and many of the legality threads is on the rights of
registrants.

We too often look a registrants as the end of the domain food chain. They are
not. Users are.

At the risk of not having numbers to corroborate my claim, I will argue that
Internet users outnumber registrants by at least one order of magnitude but
most likely by several.

I think Marc's principle - registrants have the right to argue to reinstate -
is one that caters to Internet users. It is widely practiced today with spam
block listing. If your mailer begins relaying spam, your domain may be block
listed. If you are block listed, you can argue your case with the block listing
organization or ISP and have your domain removed from the list.

Something that is lost when we conceptualize notions of suspension and block
listing is that the a) the incidence of false positives is small, b) attempts
have been made to contact the offending parties with no success, and c)
registrants impacted by false positives are inconvenienced but commonly suffer
smaller losses (if any) than the Internet users who are phished.