ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] case study: fluxing domains used for unusual purpose

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] case study: fluxing domains used for unusual purpose
  • From: RLVaughn <RL_Vaughn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 22:40:09 -0500

My apologies for my horrible form of replying to my own message but
some clarification may be necessary.

youtube.ru

I have drawn a conclusion about the above domain.  It is not fastflux

as it fails the compromised hosts test

but is wildcarding requests to IPs for other purposes.  I do not
conclude, however, the purpose of said wildcarding is directly related
to the stated purpose of circumventing Internet censorship.

This is not to imply anything nefarious is going on with the IPs.  In fact,
I expect the use of the IPs has yet another use.

I would have mentioned some of the destination domains would not be the wisest domains to visit using computers at work but am confident no one on this group uses their employer's network resources for causal Internet use.

RLV