ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DTeam - framework for proposal

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DTeam - framework for proposal
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:39:04 -0700

I'm comfortable adding these to my item list for the sake of continuing the
discussion.

I would like to set the discussion of what is in or out of scope for ICANN or
any party to this process for the moment, if that's agreeable to all. Can we
agree to flesh out the task list as fully as possible, walk through it to find
and correct the flaws, and then go back to discuss what is in/out of scope and
for whom?

Also, I notice we bury so much of our progress in nested emails and this makes
it very hard for everyone to keep up. I'm republishing my list with Mike's
additions:

 *   Develop & test algorithms to detect fast flux

 *   quantify the attack. We are slowly teasing out the characteristics we use
to identify a fast flux network based in input from Joe, me, Greg, Randy, Eric,
Mark and others. This effort also helps us identify the data required to
quantify the attack. This answers the question, "What is it that we want to
detect?"

 *   develop a methodology/tool that has a very high probability of detecting
the attack and a very low probability of reporting a false positive (Joe's
tool, TMF, etc. are examples of detection methods and tools). This answers the
question, "How can we detect it?"

 *   establish a preliminary false-positives accuracy target (.1%,001%,
.00001% ?)

 *   Develop detection software based on approved algorithms and targets

 *   identify the data collectors. Marc and others have identified various
sources of data and perhaps it would be helpful to identify the parties (e.g.,
registrars and registries) who collect it. This answers the question, "Who can
provide the data we need to detect it?"

 *   Conduct pilot tests of detection software with volunteer domain
service-providers

 *   identify the approved users of the data. The range of users spans from
"anyone with an internet connection" to "parties who are trusted to use the
data". For the sake of this strawman, let's go with the trusted party end of
this spectrum. This answers the question, "Who is responsible for detecting it?"

 *   Develop suggested/model service-level (and liability) agreements between
detection service-providers and domain service-providers

 *   identify the "trust model" for approved data users. We want a high
confidence that the parties will act in the best interests of the community at
large, for users and registrants. This answers the question, "Why do we entrust
these individuals to detect it?"

 *   identify the access and reporting model for the approved data users. We
have proposals ranging from publishing additional information via the DNS using
TXT records to SSL gateway portals that provide WDPRS reporting like
capabilities. This answers the questions, "How do the trusted parties acquire
data they need, and report abuse?", "How do we keep the data from falling into
the hands of folks who would misuse the data?", and "How do we keep bad actors
from disrupting the access method?"

identify the responders and the response. In several models, we've discussed
accelerated suspension of domains by registrars and registries, with processes
for reinstatement, etc.