ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DTeam - framework for proposal

  • To: George Kirikos <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DTeam - framework for proposal
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:37:11 -0400

Howdy George,
Anyhow, if I had a client who committed credit card fraud, and I
registered domains on their behalf, I'm the one that takes the loss,
not Tucows. Thus, the onus is on me to know my clients, etc., I can't
push the responsibility on to others.

I may not have stated the problem clearly. There is the possibility of a race condition existing where two or more instances of the registrar client (each a distinct "reseller"), and the "window of opportunity" can't be known to any instance of the registrar client at the time of the add, only at the time of delete.

The same applies to registry-specific discounts that rely upon global state, e.g., first 100 at $x, thereafter at $x+$y.

Restated, you (registrar X sub-account) can't know what any other registrar X sub-account is doing, and therefore you can't know what the status of registrar X's threshold value is, whether you think you are responsible or not.

The actual threshold that was used for the AGP/tasting solution was
enormous (i.e. 10%). If folks are seeing a fraud rate of greater than
10%/yr on new registrations, perhaps they should not be registrars, as
they've got bigger problems, and shouldn't be shifting those problems
to everyone else.

That's a nice value judgement, and I've heard it elsewhere, but I'm testing a registrar client and I'd prefer if people with values other than stable, robust, well-tested registrar systems had the courtesy to go out of business themselves and not inflict those values on others.

Shifting the discussion back to Fast Flux ...

The point of mentioning it (yours) was that something mitigated something else without side-effect.

The point of mentioning it (mine) was that the above representation of absence of side-effect may be a question of perspective, or at least my being smarter after I hit my thumb with a hammer.

Which may have some non-zero relation to "fast flux".

Eric