ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Abuse in general

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Abuse in general
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 06:52:01 -0700

Dave Piscitello wrote:

The criminals may have adopted short TTLs but that's not the only marker. Anyone who looks at a DNS configuration, sees a short TTL, and concludes "this is a fast flux attack" is going to be wrong. And we have already agreed to this point.

Agreed. I sometimes use very short TTLs myself. Generally if I'm moving from one data center to another. (Mass IP change) I will generally reduce the TTLs to 5 minutes the day before. Then when I make the move it changes quickly. After the move I set the TTLs back. If someone were looking only at TTLs then I would be mischaracterized as a criminal.

Generally to get accuracy you need to look at a lot of information and combine it. Fast TTLs is just one of many indicators. But it's a combination of things that leads to a conclusion.