ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1

• To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:26:04 -0500

Ah! Good point. That highlights one of the puzzles that I think we're trying to address with this recommendation -- how do we (ICANN) do things that span more than one Supporting Organization, and accommodate their respective PDP processes? I'm intentionally forcing this issue with this proposal, because I think staying within the GNSO silo presents some almost-insurmountable hurdles.

To make this a litter clearer, and lay out a possible approach, I've added the following to the FAQ:

What do you mean by "project"?

We've chosen that term as a way to distinguish this cross-SO effort from those that are managed through the PDP processes within a given Supporting Organization.

We believe that PDPs will be required to enact various recommendations as the project proceeds. Indeed at a minimum it may be a good idea to have "go/no-go" PDPs at the end of each project phase to allow SOs to comment on and accept the work that has been completed, and approve launching the next phase. In addition, policy and process recommendations would need PDPs to be enacted.

Our hope is that by using a series of incremental phases, with PDP checkpoints along the way, we can move forward in an orderly way while still ensuring that constituencies have a proper say over what is done and proposed.

I also changed the wording to make it clearer that the Fast Flux working group would come to an end, and that a new cross-SO team would be formed to carry on. I'll wait for more comments and release a new draft tomorrow some time.

At 01:16 PM 8/11/2008, Liz Gasster wrote:
Mike, thanks so much for thinking through some next steps. As we consider Mike's draft, it is important for the revised charter to consider how to further define the issue to ensure that it is properly within the scope of the ICANN policy process and within the scope of the GNSO. I think the following language will need to be adjusted:

..."a project to find ways that the ICANN community can help reduce fraud and abuse on the Internet by identifying measures that can be taken while protecting the rights of lawful
users and stakeholders."

The PDP process is limited to issues within the scope of ICANN's mission statement (among other limitations) or that implicate or affect an existing ICANN policy (see specific reference in Annex A of the bylaws).

The team should consider language that would narrow the scope of the charter along these lines. I can help with drafting if the group agrees.

Thanks, Liz

[snip]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy