ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:26:04 -0500

Ah! Good point. That highlights one of the puzzles that I think we're trying to address with this recommendation -- how do we (ICANN) do things that span more than one Supporting Organization, and accommodate their respective PDP processes? I'm intentionally forcing this issue with this proposal, because I think staying within the GNSO silo presents some almost-insurmountable hurdles.

To make this a litter clearer, and lay out a possible approach, I've added the following to the FAQ:

What do you mean by "project"?

We've chosen that term as a way to distinguish this cross-SO effort from those that are managed through the PDP processes within a given Supporting Organization.

We believe that PDPs will be required to enact various recommendations as the project proceeds. Indeed at a minimum it may be a good idea to have "go/no-go" PDPs at the end of each project phase to allow SOs to comment on and accept the work that has been completed, and approve launching the next phase. In addition, policy and process recommendations would need PDPs to be enacted.

Our hope is that by using a series of incremental phases, with PDP checkpoints along the way, we can move forward in an orderly way while still ensuring that constituencies have a proper say over what is done and proposed.

I also changed the wording to make it clearer that the Fast Flux working group would come to an end, and that a new cross-SO team would be formed to carry on. I'll wait for more comments and release a new draft tomorrow some time.