ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Confused and Frustrated about the process

• To: Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Confused and Frustrated about the process
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:35:41 -0700

I am somewhat confused and frustrated by the process and in part it's probably my fault. But I want to bring this up and see if I can get a better idea of what's going on.

I have not been part of these kind of groups before and feel like a very small fish in a big pond and I have a very limited understanding of the problems and politics within the ICANN community. And - being self employed I'm more used to just fixing things that working within a group. And I'm an engineering type - one of those who would rather work with computers than people - and working in a group isn't my strongest skill.

So - my understanding of the problem is that we are given some sort of mandate to deal with "fast flux". The reason behind it is that FF is used by criminals (but not exclusively by criminals) to cheat banks out of money. And I'm assuming that the victims of phishers are interested in putting a stop to the practice.

It seems however that the problem isn't FF in itself as there seems to be legit uses for the technology. And from what I understand is if we do just what we are told to do then the result is that we would have to return a verdict that we need a new mandate. And I would assume that then the "higher ups" for lack of a better term would tell us what they really want us to do.

Excuse me if I'm oversimplifying - but that how I deal with things.

However - as I understand it - the idea of looking into fast flux as it relates to fraud - that should be on the table as it is clearly implied. So my understanding is - and this is where I'm experiencing confusion - that there is an implied mandate to solve FF problems as it directly relates to fraud. If i'm wrong about this - please explain it to me.

I'm a tech - so if someone brings me a computer and asks me to fix the hard drive - and it turns out that the problem isn't the hard drive but the hard drive cable - I make the assumption that the customer really wants me to fix that hard drive cable because the real mandate is to make the computer work. However - someone else might return the computer unfixed stating that the hard drive is fine, or making the customer ask that the hard drive cable be repaired before we can continue.

So - in my way of thinking - and I think as a tech - that I interpret the mandate to be "figure out how to stop the fraud where FF is part of the problem". So even if we determine that "stopping FF" isn't the answer, that we shouldn't just stop there. We should come up with solutions, or rather "ideas for solutions that should be further investigated" so that at least if they kick the ball back to us they have a better idea of what to ask for.

Another issue I have in working with a group of people is that I think differently and I solve problems differently than most people do. Most people start at the beginning and work their way to the end. If they get stuck in the middle they stop and the problem doesn't get solved. That is what I see happening here. That we can reach the solution phase if we haven't defined the problem.

I'm not someone who accepts that limitation. What I do in cases like this is to start looking at solutions and then think about the effect the solution has. If the solution tends to solve the problem then I might have accomplished the mission even if I don't completely understand what I'm fixing.

As an example. I've often been called upon to repair electronic equipment that I have absolutely not training or experience fixing. In fact in many cases I don't even know how to operate the equipment that I'm trying to fix. I'm just told that it's broken and it's my job to make it work again.

So I open the machine up and I smell burnt electronics. So I look around and I see parts burnt. So I replace the burnt parts with new parts and ask someone who knows what the machine does to turn it on and tell me if it's working. They try it out, it works, I'm declared a genius, and I walk away with a check. And that's how I made a living back when I was 19 years old. My job wasn't to understand the problem, nor was it to be trained and competent. My job was to make the machine work.

The point here is that if I has limited myself to the requirements of experience and training then I wouldn't have ben able to attempt the repair.

OK - getting to the point. If I were not part of this group and I were a consultant hired to just fix this then I would be doing things in a different order than this group is doing it. I would be looking at possible solutions as a way of defining the problem. Sometimes if you get stuck in the middle you have to work back from the end.

For example - the TTL limiting idea - we have (I think) already determined that to be mostly not the solution in that we can identify collateral damage. It kill all legitimate use of FF that might be used for free speech. So - without determining what the problem is, we know what the solution is not.

What do we agree on? I think that we all agree that FF is bad when it is used to steal money from banks and peoples accounts (phishing in general). So - if we can agree that the folks who want us to look at FF are really mean they want to stop FF in connection with phishing, then we have a problem that we can then try to solve.

So - if we can present ideas as either solutions or pieces of solutions that can help to inhibit fraud and that do not have any effect on free speech or other unintended consequences then it seems to me that it's worth putting something together to at least return something useful that could at least perhaps define the problem and give other something to work with for the next step. And there are ideas on the table for solutions that are promising that haven't been sufficiently discussed because the group is locked into a sequential process and is stuck at a place before the solution phase.

I see it as putting together a picture puzzle. You dump the pieces on the table and the first thing you do is find any two pieces that fit together. There is no order to the process. Eventually it all fits. But if you start with the upper left corner and limit yourself to doing it sequentially then it's much harder to solve. I look at this problem in a similar way. Maybe we can't build the puzzle, but we can put a few pieces together,

I personally do not see the FF problem as it relates specifically to fraud as a very hard problem to solve. I think the issue of distinguishing between FF phishing and FF free speech is trivial and can be accomplished with no false positives at all while taking a huge bite (possibly 90%+) out of FF used for phishing. It seems to me that if I were in control of everything that it would only take a couple weeks at best to code something up that would work. But I'm not in control of everything and I'm working within a process that include a lot of things that I'm not good at and I'm feeling awkward in this environment.

So - some of this is just venting - but I've always looked at my part of the process as being one of the people who figures out the solution part as my way of making a contribution to the process. And I'm needing some advice as to how to be part of a group and accomplish something useful. I feel like a TV repairman who is called to do a home service call and there's no TV to fix.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and advice.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy