ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Eric's suggested change to Annex 2

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Eric's suggested change to Annex 2
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 11:47:12 -0400

Existing text:

None

Suggested text:

Steve Bellovin wrote this recently in a note to NANOG, in the context of discussion of the cache poisoning exploit:

  /This is important.  Kaminsky took a known concept and did the hard
  engineering work to make it feasible.  To slightly misuse a quote
  that's more often applied to crypto, "amateurs worry about algorithms;
  pros worry about economics".  The economics of the attack have now
  changed.  (And we need to get DNSSEC deployed before they change even
  further.)/

This is in two parts. The first is a revised version of the post of 8/04/08 "Things learned thus far", written to for the RC members, the second is a synthesis of several prior notes, and concludes with my perspective as the CTO of CORE, a registrar and the registry services provider for several registries, and the operator of USAWebhost. The demark is the word "Intermission". The pronoun "we" is used in the first part, as this has been reviewed by three other registrars. The pronoun "I" is used in the second part. Together they amount to about 1,600 words.

Begin.

We know that discussion of this subject is complicated by the assumption by some that "fast flux" is a technical term, or a term for a criminal activity, or both.

In this note we adopt the convention that what is called "fast flux" has a "bad use" and a "good use". This should not be understood to mean that we think either use is "bad" or "good", only that we observe a social convention that amounts to an abuse of notation.

Part I:

We know that "fast flux" is just one technique used, and that it is used together with other techniques, from overt email to covert instant messaging, for good and bad purposes. We also know that "the bad use" of the technique uses a domain name in the message payload (via email or htttp or ... instant messaging or ...), in the past one (or more of a set of) fixed ip address was used, and if domain names and a fixed payload weren't more economic than a set of ip addresses in a set of payloads, that "the bad use" would still be using address sets rather than "fluxed" domains, and will return to using address sets and sets of payloads if domains become less economic for their business model(s).

We can get the "bad use" out of the DNS, in theory (ignoring cost, the risk to "good use", and who pays it all), but that won't get the "bad use" out of the net.

What is more, as ipv6 transition continues, and router vendors, and network service providers adapt to the physical fundamentals, which affects the business fundamentals of network service providers, whatever the "bad use" can exploit it will to retain and expand its business model(s).

Part II:

There is no data that "fast flux" is affecting the operations of the IANA root, or any gTLD, or ccTLD registry.

There is data that "bad use" exploits some of the gTLDs, COM, NET, ORG and some others, but not all, and also exploits some ccTLDs, CN, and some others. The "bad use" is proportional to volume, no other relationship is yet supported by data. The same applies for "good use" (load balancing, censorship evasion, etc.).

Government is not involved in the Working Group.

Part III:

While decreased TTL values for nameservers could increase load on the root and registry servers by a factor of 5, the number of NS records being "fluxed" is sufficiently small that actual load induced is not detectable. We're also unable to find any damage to registries, registrars, or registrants, directly and uniquely produced by "bad use", to those roles and their standing in the ICANN gTLD system, and suspect the same is true for the IANA ccTLD system as well.

Part IV:

We've got an improvement over the original definition, and in the course of doing so have developed an understanding that discerning "bad use" from "good use" requires human intervention, and even so may fail.

There is no consensus about the scope of the Working Group, some think it is a debating exercise, some think it is an exercise whiteboarding solutions, etc.

Part V:

We don't know if this is a real problem, or even a solvable problem. If it is a real problem, it appears that the cost is intended to be paid by registrars. Arguing against this being a real problem is the fact that the network operations community (with or without the ICANN ASO and/or GNSO ISPC, as presently constituted) is uninvolved. Similarly, Government is uninvolved.

Intermission

This isn't our problem. It isn't our problem because we can't fix it. It isn't our problem because it doesn't affect us.

It isn't our problem because we can't fix it.

We could fix it if the second "N" in "ICANN" weren't a fiction. However, both the institutional engagement of the NRO {ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, LACNIC, AfriNIC} in ICANN is insufficient, and the operational role of the IANA is limited to allocation of ASnums and IP address blocks.

We could fix it if the first "N" in "ICANN" were operational. However, despite adequate institutional engagement by generic DNS registries and their registrars, their operational role in DNS is also limited to allocation of some 2LD (and for some, 3LD) DNS resources. And of course the whole "fix" fails outside of the g-space.

The authority/delegation models between the name spaces and the address spaces are analogous. However, both lack operational means of validation. In theory, were validation of each possible, the two could share a common trust anchor, and in theory, ICANN could manage the common trust anchor. Of course, multiple trust anchors are also possible.

The requirement for what is called an RPKI (routing public key infrastructure) arises from real "security and stability" issues. AS36561, AS7007, AS27506 and AS9121 are all events which altered routing. Today's "accidents" are tomorrow's exercises in operational art.

Any mechanism which is indifferent to the stability and security of the operating systems executing on network attached nodes, that is, which accepts socializing the cost of Microsoft's memory protection model to third parties, and relies upon some property of the attached network, and which attempts to validate some information originating elsewhere, to enable some admission control or related mechanism(s), requires a mechanism to provide trust, and some anchor for that trust.

A Resource Certificate Trial was conducted by APNIC using X.509 v3 Public Key Certificates (RFC3280) with IP address and ASN extensions (RFC3779), using OpenSSL as the foundational platform (adding resource extension (RFC3779) support) with the design of a Certification framework anchored on the IP resource distribution function.

We could be fixing, or sharing the trust anchor(s) that enable fixing, the authority/delegation predicates for policies which degrade the value of the compromised assets which make ancillary use of the DNS. Unfortunately, we're not, and we're not likely to be given (a) the 2nd "N" problem (at both levels), and (b) the institutional benefits of identifying a "security problem" which can only be cured by advancing some agenda within ICANN.

It isn't our problem because it doesn't affect us. Not the IANA root. Not the gTLD registries. Not the ICANN accredited Registrars. Not the Registrants. Registrants loose domains, but not because of this. Registrars go out of business or their ICANN chit is yanked, but not because of this. Registries, well, no failure data yet, some failure to thrive data, but none of it remotely attributable to this.

CORE doesn't process credit cards, and CORE's prices are above the sum of the ICANN and registry fees. We don't offer below-price, and we simply don't race to the bottom and subordinate our business interests to the interests of the credit card industry. We don't have credit card fraud, and because we don't have a lot of similar abuse issues, we suspect that abuse is more sensitive to price and highly automated resource provisioning than any other control. I observe the same in another registrar I operate and we observe the same in the registries we operate, or have operated, and those we regard as similar to CORE's -- .aero, .cat, .museum, and .coop.

Not only are we unwilling to accept the consequences of non-registrars-non-registries attempting to socialize their costs to registrars and registries, we're unwilling to accept the consequences of sub-cost registrars attempting to socialize costs to actual-cost registrars. Running with credit card scissors may look exciting, but walking with a checkbook and invoices is just as effective a way of getting from A to B.

Our contract with ICANN does not require us to share the fate of the credit card industry, or to adopt their fraud risk, or place our Members or our Secretariat in the position of being likely to be the target of a take-down attempt or domain hijacking to benefit businesses which elected to share the fate of the credit card industry and adopt their fraud risk. We're not unaware of the problem, or indifferent to it, but socializing the cost of theft from some victims, who accepted the risk, to more victims who did not, and have no share in the benefits from that involuntarily shared risk, doesn't solve the problem, it merely repeats the theft.

There have been unintended consequences.

We need to reconsider the institutional role of "security". We can accept that ICANN's "security" agent may be compromised, and is in the present. Do we leave it unminded, pretend it didn't happen, and won't happen again, or do we take it as a given and institutionalize corruption, parcel out the "security" budget to the constituencies and get on with "security" being both subjective and created by compromise? The capture of the "security and stability" blob in the org chart by the "identity theft" mob is a non-trivial event. The upcoming SSAC Review (http://www.icann.org/en/reviews/ssac/wg-draft-tor-13aug08-en.htm) is the appropriate venue to pursue the question of the SSAC's performance, structure, and institutional responsibilities.

I've written about parts of this in longer notes to the WG mailing list, addressing the issue of overstated harms, covert benefits, scope, and the distribution of data, as well as the serious problem of non-data for evasive use a resiliency technique for economic, and political ends, which are criminal in only some jurisdictions. Not that anyone needs to read these, I'm not particularly attached to the fancy of constructive discourse, which has failed, but for the poor sod combing through the list traffic for ideas, these seven were mine.

8/04/08 Things learned thus far
7/20/08 Towards a recommendation
7/20/08 Sunday Benefits
7/19/08 Saturday Harms
7/17/08 The Registrants question (was: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Draft - How are registrants affected by fast flux hosting?)
7/17/08 The Registries question
7/02/08 Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Jump start on answering GNSO questions regarding fast flux

Two additional posts, one to the chair, and one sent to an ad-hoc sublist, I'm also responsible for:
8/08/08 Off-list: rechartering input
7/12/08 Draft for restatement of scope

End

Eric Brunner-Williams