ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: FW: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] On the basic process question for the gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx working group

  • To: "'Fast Flux Workgroup'" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: FW: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] On the basic process question for the gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx working group
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:54:55 -0500

sorry about the silence -- i was driving to the farm this afternoon...

here's my 2 cents.

a) i agree -- we've all learned a lot, and we need to capture that knowledge for posterity. answering the questions, to the best of our ability, seems like a Good Plan b) i submit -- more fact-gathering and learning is required before Policy Pronouncements are in order, i think we can handle that in the "next steps" suggestions c) i agree -- we had a ragged charter, and need to make sure that the next iteration has one that is framed better, again i think we can handle that in "next steps" suggestions d) i submit -- providing motivation to improve the chartering process (through improved awareness, better skill, more attention, etc.) is part of the legacy we can pass along. simply providing "lessons learned" are invaluable to those who follow in our footsteps. that's enough process-improvement to satisfy me. i agree that driving that process is out of our scope -- but providing valuable input seems like a Good Thing.

here's where i think we're at;

1) Marika needs drafts, indexed by the report-section that you're aiming at

2) i think it would be useful to write *revised* drafts, rather than submit old ones for consideration. why? because of all the learning that has taken place. that's why i resisted simply re-inserting Dave's draft -- because it didn't take into account all that we'd learned since it was written. so -- take your favorite drafts, re-read them and re-write them with an eye to all the discussions that we've had. try for a moderate view rather than an extreme one. who knows, maybe we'll all sign on.

3) try to stick to the "old text", "proposed text", "rationale" framework -- Marika is a super-hero, but even super-heros need a break.

4) if you're suggesting changes to somebody else's proposal, try adding a "friendly amendment" to their "proposed text" -- what i'm hoping for is an email that grows like this;

- "old text"
- "proposed text"
- "amended proposed text"
- "a further amended proposed text"
 etc. etc. etc
- note -- the last in the series of "amended proposed texts" is the one that's agreed to by all of the participants in the thread-- and the one that Marika should stick into the report.

- followed by rationale discussions... in whatever hashed up indented inserted crazy format seems to work for people. that way, discussion can continue, but Marika can ignore it when she's summarizing.

make sense?

i'm off the 'net for the rest of the evening (a Bass Ale is calling me from the refrigerator). i'll check in again tomorrow morning.

onward,

mikey