ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] a study of fast flux and double flux at Indiana University

  • To: fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] a study of fast flux and double flux at Indiana University
  • From: Minaxi Gupta <minaxi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:28:29 -0400

Hi,

My students and I just finished a study of fast flux and double flux in phishing using three different real-time feeds of phishing URLs. Here are the key findings:

- 11% of the Web servers hosting phishing sites exhibited fast flux

- 70% of these servers were also a part of a double flux infrastructure

- The largest clusters of Web servers and DNS servers that exhibited flux had their domains registered in a handful of TLDs. Their host names also bore remarkable similarity in the name convention and number of dots present. They even shared machines! Clearly, a small set of miscreants are behind most of the flux seen in phishing.

- DNS servers that exhibit flux correspond to a rather small number of IP addresses. In contrast, Web servers that exhibit fast flux are hosted on a much larger number of IP addresses. This implies that a take-down of DNS servers is a more fruitful avenue in anti-phishing efforts than a take-down of Web servers that host phishing sites.

We used statistical classification and clustering techniques to arrive at these and other conclusions. I am happy to send the technical report detailing the findings of our study. (It is currently under submission at a conference.) We are continuing to collect data. I am happy to share the data with this group.

For folks who have read the Holz paper on fast flux from University of Mannheim: They looked only at fast flux (not double flux) and that too, only in the context of spam-hosting-sites. They found a higher percentage of fast flux. On their data, our models find the same percentage of fast flux as they found. This means than spam-hosting- sites in general exhibit more fast flux than phishing sites.

Best,
Minaxi