ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: FW: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Introduction and Statement of Interest: Jose Nazario (Arbor Networks)

  • To: "Fast Flux Workgroup" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: FW: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Introduction and Statement of Interest: Jose Nazario (Arbor Networks)
  • From: "George Kirikos" <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:15:23 -0400

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

> Attached is some dialogue between Jose and me re the report that Greg just
> cited to this list, fyi.

It's not a ridiculous concern when one's site is, without cause, shut
down because one is falsely accused of abuse. Who is going to pay the
damages when that occurs?

> The heuristic described on our paper, "As the Net Churns", is the one we use
> in ATLAS to qualify domain names as fluxy for monitoring purposes. We do
> have a whitelist function as several large provides are groups use DNS round
> robin techniques to provide load balancing.
>
> The white list includes names like Yahoo (mainly european Yahoo properties),
> ICQ, ClamAV, and a few others. The full list is here:
>
> WHITELIST = ('ebay.com', 'paypal.com', 'aol.com', 'yahoo.com',
>             'amazon.com', 'mailscanner.com',  'wellsfargo.com',
>             'cnn.com', 'geocities.com', 'myspace.com', 'yahoo.fr',
>             'yahoo.es', 'yahoo.it', 'rapidshare.com', 'icq.com',
>             'naver.com')

The fact that you have to have a whitelist demonstrates that the
heuristic is weak, as it would otherwise capture innocent sites like
Yahoo.com or eBay.com by default. Why would ICANN single out Yahoo.com
to be whitelisted, and not any of my company's websites? We each pay
ICANN 20 cents/year per domain.

> The frequency with which we see these appear, however, is rare. Out of tens
> of thousands of fast flux names we have seen, fewer than 100 distinct (based
> on our techniques mining for names through spamvertised and
> malcode-associated URLs and such) have been falsely accused. This is well

And exactly how many hours/days/weeks did it take for those falsely
accused websites to be removed from the blacklist? If they were
falsely accused, but didn't report anything to you (i.e. silent
victims), would they even appear in your dataset as false positives?
And what financial damages were paid to the victimized websites?

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
www.LEAP.com