ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] 5.4

  • To: Mike Rodenbaugh <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] 5.4
  • From: Jose Nazario <jose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:31:48 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

I appreciate all the work that went into this Section by many folks, but I think the opening sentence is not true, and think it is likely to be harmful to efforts against fast flux attacks if it left as-is. Is there Support (or even Agreement?) for any all of these three sentences instead ??

1.      There is at least anectodal evidence that at least a few registrars
and/or their resellers intentionally facilitate fast flux domain name
exploits, particularly ?double-flux? attacks.
2.      There is evidence that some registrars and/or their resellers have
willfully ignored evidence that they are facilitating fast flux domain name
exploits that were causing harm to the broader internet community.
3.      Many and perhaps most registrars take affirmative steps to ensure
that they do not facilitate fast flux exploits, and also rapidly respond to
information that they may be doing so without their knowledge.

i am obviously not on the call but i can concur with you here on this rewording, mike.

jose nazario, ph.d.             <jose@xxxxxxxxx>
manager of security research    arbor networks
v: (734) 821 1427               http://asert.arbornetworks.com/