ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Wording for Possible Next Steps data collection

  • To: "'Martin Hall'" <martinh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Wording for Possible Next Steps data collection
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:20:10 -0500

The proposed text does seem beyond the scope of the current WG product since
it gets into specifications, the question of who funds and sponsors such a
thing, etc.  "Testing various candidate operational fast flux scoring rules"
etc. is beyond the current scope, and we do not know if it will be in-scope
in the future.  Also, I think that a collaborative input site, while a
possibly interesting source of data, is not essential for the WG to perform
its work.  We know parties who do extensive monitoring, some of whom have
already contributed data.

At line 1008, the report discusses "Information Sharing: Solutions in this
category focus on enhancing the ability of non-ICANN-affiliated parties to
deal with fraud and other abusive or malicious behavior without recruiting
ICANN or its affiliated registries and registrars as active agents of fraud
detection or prevention."

So instead of the below suggestions, I suggest we insert an additional
bullet at 1032 to read:

"Cooperative, community initiatives designed to facilitate data sharing and
the identification of problematic domain names.  Examples include the
Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) and PhishTank for phishing, the Messaging
Anti-Abuse Working Group (MAAWG) and various blacklists for spam,
ShadowServer Foundation for botnets, and StopBadware.org for malware.  Such
community efforts may provide possible models for fast-flux hosting."

All best,
--Greg