ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Updated version of draft initial report posted on wiki

  • To: icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Updated version of draft initial report posted on wiki
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:15:53 -0800

Mike mentioned:

#I bet .edu domains have been co-opted and used for spam and phishing, at
#least.

Because dot edu policies limit each institution to just one domain (with
the exception of some grandfathered cases where folks have multiple
institutional domains), it would be rare for an institution to have their
entire domain co-opted in dot edu land.

This is not to say that edu doesn't wrestle with compromised systems being
used for spamming or phishing, because we do, just like everyone else, but
because the typical dot edu domain portfolio is so small, hijacking of an
institution's one and only dot edu domain would be an immediately noticed
and hugely big deal for pretty much any dot edu I can think of.

Regards,

Joe

Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own