ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed text for section 5.4.

  • To: "mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "owner-gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx" <owner-gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>, Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed text for section 5.4.
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:52:13 -0800

Dear All,

The proposed language for section 5.4. is as follows:

4) No registrar has been prosecuted for facilitating criminal activities
related to fast flux domains, but there have been reports linking one
ICANN-accredited registrar (ESTDomains, which has since been de-accredited)
to a large number of fraudulent domains including fast flux domains (see
e.g. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/09/estdomains.html).
The recent de-peering of Intercage and McColo, hosting companies that both
hosted a large amount of highly undesirable and criminal content and a large
number of domains registered by ESTDomains, reportedly resulted in dramatic
reduction of malicious activity across the entire Internet, see
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/11/spam_volumes_drop_by_23
_after.html and http://www.norman.com/Virus/Security_Information/54482/.

Please feel free to share your comments / suggestions to the list. If no
further comments / edits are received by tomorrow, I'll incorporate it into the
report for final review by the Working Group.

With best regards,

Marika