ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The downside of rapid takedown approaches

  • To: George Kirikos <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The downside of rapid takedown approaches
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:32:05 -0700

I think we're talking apples and oranges here.

My personal opinion is that the DMCA is a poorly constructed piece of legislation that a large number of uncaring companies have used as a bludgeon to go after everyone and anyone they can for alleged infringement - mainly their own customers. The demise of the music industry as we've known it for decades has been due in large-part to relying on such ham-handed techniques rather than adjusting to new technology and working with ISPs and technology providers instead of against them.

In stark contrast here, we have the Internet security community that has not sought such legislation, has largely worked to partner with providers to solve problems, and is participating in creating policy and process that provides for quick mitigation of serious criminal activity while maintaining checks and balances against abuse of those systems. Talk about night and day!

I take an opposite conclusion here - the work we've been doing in this group and in the general engagement between security and provider communities shows a much better way to approach this kind of complex issue. We've engaged rather than standing off and lobbing grenades at each other via the approach the RIAA and others took by going straight to government for an overly burdensome regulatory response to their issues. I would also use this as a cautionary example for what could happen if we don't continue working towards common solutions and insist that "my side is right" or "it's someone else's problem". Someone will go to a higher authority for relief and that leads to all sorts of collateral damage to all. Have a look at legislation I and countless others in the security community have criticized in the past that would put such impositions on providers (while potentially giving security vendors an easy tool to misuse) and some of the bills introduced every session of Congress it seems - far more draconian than anything we've even discussed as even outlying ideas in our group here.

Instead of pausing, we need to press forward with collaborative efforts FASTER - before someone not engaged in the process gets something truly harmful to the Internet community through Congress or some other body.

That's my take away for what it's worth. Hate to come away sounding confrontational, but my complete and utter disdain for the RIAA and their tactics of the past makes me pretty sensitive to comparisons tying their approach and ours! Buy me a couple beers in Sydney and I'll let you know what I really think of the music industry though. :-)

Best regards,

Rod Rasmussen
President and CTO
Internet Identity