ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DRAFT text for Section 5.9

  • To: "'James M. Bladel'" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] DRAFT text for Section 5.9
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:00:51 -0400

Dear Mike:

Please see the two sections about TTLs in the RyC statement, where I
described the salient technical points.  Registries and registrars do not
have any practical control over authoritative TTLs.

You'd have to re-engineer the Internet to change that and implement your
white-list idea.  DNS RFCs 1034 and 1035 are not just any RFCs -- they have
status as Internet Official Protocol Standards.  They describe fundamentals
of how the DNS works, and are designed into systems.  So if you advocate
limits on TTLs, you must also advocate that the IETF alter the DNS RFCs.

The only exception where a registry or registrar has authoritative impact on
TTLs is where the registrar is also acting as the registrant's hosting
provider.  However, Web hosting services are outside of the scope of GNSO
policy-making.

As a practical matter: I think businesses, governments, and the engineering
community would strongly resist the idea that they would have to obtain
permission from some body in order to set and change TTLs.

For the above reasons, the FFWG report should not advocate options to limit
TTLs.

All best,
--Greg